Sign in to follow this  

Installed FMF on 70 - now it pops a lot...insight?

My son wanted his bike ('05 CRF70) to sound like mine (450R), so I got him a full FMF exhuast...

His bike is near-new, and runs dead perfect.

Install went fine, starts right up, etc.

Bike still runs ok, but now pops/chugs on hard accelerations, and pops ALOT on hard DECELLERATIONS...like chop the throttle off after pinning it...and it pops like crazy.

I'm sure i need to adjust the carb or something, but have no idea what to adjust...

Tips?

You're running lean, you need to rejet the mains and pilot larger and readjust your air screw. The manufacturer should have a helpline that will give you base line starting points, and go from there.

You will need a bigger main jet. You may be able to keep the same pilot jet and turn up your fuel mixture screw a bit. After you get rid of the popping then you can work on the bog if you still have it. May just need to raise the needle a notch after your rejet.

Thanks for the responses...I've read these, as well as researched other sites, searched in THIS forum, etc, etc...the general concensus is that I raise the needle 1 notch (lower the clip, right?), then mess with the fuel/air screw, and polish it off with fine-tuning the idle....right?

Are there any standard "open the airbox" type recommended mods? It's completely stock, other than the pipe right now...

ps: couple general questions:

*how often do ya'll change the oil on these?

*how often do you change the oil filter (is there an oil filter?)

*how often do you clean the air filter?

*what are the stock sprocket sizes? Does anyone gear them down a little? At first my son wouldn't get out of 1st gear...now he pretty much only likes 2nd gear, which usually tends to be a bit high...

What are the top mods for a beginner rider?