Sign in to follow this  

Washougal Weekend

I had a great weekend as I am sure anyone who attended did too . . .

Friday night - got off work early. Got stressed out driving in traffic for two hours to get to Portland Motorcycle. Bubba and the rest of "Team Green" signing autographs. Because the traffic was so bad on I-5 not many actually people actually attended. I was able to talk to Ryan V. and Bubba for a few minutes while getting autographs. Both very nice and approachable. Bubba sure seemed young (I am 38 and he is only 20) to be the next racing legend. Cant believe that kid is already worth millions - just saw his new Rolls Royce in Motorcross mag. Bubba said that next year at least one Team Green rider will be racing with EFI.

On Saturday, went riding with friends in the Upper Nestuca - Trask area. Great trails. Good conditions and nice friends.

On Sunday, got up early. Left house in Newberg, Oregon around 7 am. Still sat in about 2 hours of traffic. Still had time to get pit passes - well worth it. Got lots of cool autographs and pictures - Ricky, Roger DeCoster, OLN Erin Bates (she sure is tall especially when standing by Ricky for an interview), Chad Reed, Andrew Short, Bubba, etc.

Watched two mechanics switch out forks on Mike Allessi's KTM. That was amazing to see two guys totally in sync with each other - they removed tire, front brake guard, removed forks from triple clamps, replaced with new forks and reassembled everything in about 3 minutes total.

The track and location is always awesome. Truly one of the most beautiful tracks in the entire nation.

The races were great - Andrew Short was awesome in both races. Ryan V. (Washington guy) was the local favorite and I definately screamed for him to win but he just did not have Shorty's speed.

In the 450 class, both races were very competitive. It will be many years before we ever have the caliber of Ricky and James battling each other. They clearly were head and shoulders better than the rest. But . . . I was really proud of Chad Reed. In both races he got really good starts and led the races for awhile. Chad battled well - he has a lot of heart - but did not have Ricky and James speed - who does?

All in all, I had a great time and was proud to be part of this great thing. All of the racers were very nice and willing to share a moment for an autograph or a picture. Only negative thing, saw a few guys in the beer garden that had too much to drink. Some of their girlfriends were drunk too and putting on a "Girls gone wild" show - unfortunately, young kids were watching on the other side of the chain fence. Also saw some young guys - age 16 through 22 - making some mean comments when heavy girls walked by. Not good - not very classy. But all in all, considering that over 20, 000 people were there - a very nice crowd. We have a good "family." Cant wait for next year!!!

I agree!!!. I knew Ricky bit it bad but unfortunately I did not get to see the fall. Those pics are great. He should sell them to the Mags.

Steve

Those pictures are great.Iwas on the other side,and saw the whole thing.And man I couldn't believe he got back on the bike.And i was wondering how and what made him crash,Cause all i seen was the bike just flip I don't know how many times.And Ricky just land on both his knees and just rag dolled.But man I think this year goes down as the best race I ever seen.This one will be very hard to top.Nobody around me thought Ricky was going to catch him that second moto.And for the idiots in the beer garden,I don't think they know one name of a rider.You got you're die hard that go and you got you're idiots.

And for the idiots in the beer garden,I don't think they know one name of a rider.You got you're die hard that go and you got you're idiots.

Think what you will of the beer garden patrons, but MXJunky was able to see RCs lip skid while double fisting the Buds. Kevin Waterhouse (#14 on a Red bike, Hodaka?) rode damn good, too.

Oh yeah, JESSE, MXJunky guesses RC isn't a sure thing, afterall!

Some of my pics from Washougal - and yes, some were taken in the beer garden. Nothing against having a beer at the races but do have a problem when after seeing one girl makeout with another and they both flashed their tops (ok that was good) but then it got really bad. One of the drunk girls then squated down and took a leak in front of all of us. (And I was downhill to her) Kids were watching on the other side of the fence. Something I want to block out of my memory . . .

th_WashougalWeekend2006127.jpg

th_RickyaheadofJames2beforefall-Race2.jpg

th_JamesholdingoffRick2-Race1.jpg

th_JamesandRickyinAir-Race1.jpg

th_AndrewShortyandTravisPreston.jpg

th_WashougalWeekend2006210.jpg

th_WashougalWeekend2006168.jpg

th_WashougalWeekend2006155.jpg

th_WashougalWeekend2006135.jpg

th_WashougalWeekend2006125.jpg

th_8add37ed.jpg

th_baae4d68.jpg

th_dbba92a8.jpg

th_92dbb7fd.jpg

Was there too...Shooting some pics and cheering on the nephew in his biggest pro race to date ( Adam Metzler). A buddy of mine shot a pic of Ricky eating it on one of the jumps! Talk about a cover shot! Check it out! http://www.tripleateam.com/dirt/v/Events/2006/washougal30july06/

I think Joe McLaughlin should be shooting for the mags!

Jay

I think the funny thing about the one pic with RC getting ready to go over the bars is there is a cameraman looking and missed the shot...I bet he is pissed.

I talked to Rider X today but got nothing. I have no idea who to talk to about selling those pics, whatever. Another 100 pics just uploaded and I moved Ricky's pics into his own folder. The original un-cut pics show a wider view. Someone that knows the guys at the AMA,,, tell them to let me have a press pass next year, I got the blow off this year. I have around 2000 pics to go through so it will take some time. Doughound's pics are going up in just a few minutes, my PC is working them over right now.

Joe............

I also had a great time. But... why do I have to be subjective to 4 days of prayer. Prayer does not belong at a national event. It bad enough being woke up every morning by a loud speaker.

I don't know what was better about Washougal, the riding or the women :ride::cry::crazy::thumbsup::ride:

:ride:

nice pictures everyone. I was not able to make it this year due to my friends wedding

seeing one girl makeout with another and they both flashed their tops (ok that was good)

I also saw those girls making out, didn't see a flash though :thumbsup:

I happened to be right where Chad Reed bit it at the top of the track. He landed about a foot in front of me and flung dirt all over. It scared the crap out of me because looking through the camera, he was heading right at me. Anyway, the pictures did not capture the moment like I had hoped,, nothing like the Ricky Carmichael shots but I just posted up the Chad Reed shots for those that want to see him eating some dirt.

Joe...........

http://www.tripleateam.com/dirt/v/Events/2006/washougal30july06/