Sign in to follow this  

Loaner Race Bikes?

There are so many great offroad/mx events around the country.

This past year there were several events that I would have loved to race/ride in. The problem is they were out of state. Logistics would be a nightmare. Not to mention driving time if I had to take my bike to them.

I was wishing I had a friend in those areas that had a spare bike to loan me. Then, I thought maybe we should have some sort of bike swap network, where people could post an event they would like to attend and then someone near the event could offer the use of their bike. Is this crazy? Would anyone do it? I would. At least to a fellow racer of the same skill or better. Then the offer could be reciprocated.

Of course there might be damage, but “you break it, you buy it” should be a given. Though I rarely ride other people’s bikes, if I put so much as a scratch on their fender, I would offer to buy them a new fender.

So, is this too far fetched? Does anyone else let other people ride their bikes? Granted I have four bikes, but even if I had only one (and I weren’t racing in the event myself), I would loan it to a racer.

Just curious.

I have 2 bikes sometimes as many as 4 and I never hesitate to let someone that I know and trust to ride them. I don't care about the scratches so much as just helping me with an oil change or buying me lunch.

I like to have fun riding with friends and if that means loaning them one of my bikes, so be it.

If you're ever in Arkansas look me up I'll loan you the kdx 200.

Note: Owner always gets first choice of toy!!! :thumbsup:

Wow, that is so nice of you!

The offer goes to you and the family if you ever come to CA. I even have my own mx track to practice on! :thumbsup:

Wow, that is so nice of you!

The offer goes to you and the family if you ever come to CA. I even have my own mx track to practice on! :thumbsup:

I may take you up on that!!

I don't race but I do have a small practice track and about 3mi of woods trails.

:ride:

Well, The offer is good in SW WI and SE MN as well. When I was out in Cali a couple of years ago, I had wished the exact same thing.

I dont know, I'd be really nervous giving my bike away to someone i've never met. I would probably have them fill out a check before they took the bike in case they run off with it.

I would but I have no xtra bikes. :thumbsup:

I'd be more than happy to ride that 450 for ya! :ride:

I dont know, I'd be really nervous giving my bike away to someone i've never met. I would probably have them fill out a check before they took the bike in case they run off with it.

I'm sorry you feel that way. While a sharp eye and keen mind will help you filter out the bad guys, what makes you think someone interested in stealing your dirt bike will leave you a valid check? :thumbsup:

I'm sorry you feel that way. While a sharp eye and keen mind will help you filter out the bad guys, what makes you think someone interested in stealing your dirt bike will leave you a valid check? :thumbsup:

I guess if i knew the guy was a legit racer and had other bikes but it just was impossilbe to get the bike to the race I could do it. But as a teenager, I emptied a bank account to get my bike so it means a lot to me. All my friends think I'm nuts, except for the ones that ride of course.