Sign in to follow this  

kibblewhite 2nd round?

Okay guys I'm on an '03 CRF450. I got around 150+ hours out of my oe valves before they went to zero clearance without ever shimming them. I replaced with kibblewhites valves and springs and have 200+ hours on them. I haven't checked but I've gotta a feeling they just went to 0 clearance. If they did I may just attempt to shim but if that's not an option or doesn't work... Can I litterally just replace the valves or should I be replacing the springs too? Any of you that have done this swap know the springs are the expensive part so if I don't have to replace those I'll feel a little better with my budget!!!

Thanks,

Khris

That's one of the reasons I stick with OEM valves and springs, the springs if I recall are around $5/each.

The springs probably died and took the valves with them. If you do them again, its almost certain you need guides too. Id send thing out and get Ferra Ti valve put in with the good guides and RHC's good spring package and you'll end up getting even better life out of the Ti setup than you did the KW's.

Talk to Kelstr about the KW springs. They seem to sack at about 30 hours, some even less. Once that starts happening the valves bounce in the seat and its just a matter of time.

Yeah but there's no denying that 200+ hours isn't too bad life outta them. If I send the head out to RHC for a valve setup what's that gonna set me back ballpark price wise? I don't follow those threads as I'm not looking for head work and haven't worried about the valves till now...

Khris

I've got a Ferrea valve kit sitting in my garage. If I would have known I would have brought it Saturday. If you send your head to Kelstr, he'll cut the seats and install the Ferrea valves, springs and all plus shim the whole deal. Let me know.

BTW, this is a trail/desert race bike. It doesn't get wrung out and in those 200 hours it probably saw the rev limiter 2-3 times total. My riding style I'm generally a gear higher and reving lower then most. Still got the old school XR style...

Well, I'll pull the valve cover off one night this week and check the clearance before I go too far. If it's a sad sight I'll be in touch RB!!!

Oh, and RB... I didn't realize you guys hung out Sat and drank? We were in the back area of the lot tossing down beers till about 1:30. Heck I was the last one they flagged off the track...

Oh, and RB... I didn't realize you guys hung out Sat and drank? We were in the back area of the lot tossing down beers till about 1:30. Heck I was the last one they flagged off the track...

That sucks. We didn't see anything going on and were wondering where everyone was. :thumbsup:

I'd suggest getting a new '06 head, OEM valves, OEM springs, and new seals. This will cost only $400 and you get the benefits of an improved head with new valve guides and seats. You spend more trying to recondition your old head and risk getting poor machine work.

I'd suggest getting a new '06 head, OEM valves, OEM springs, and new seals. This will cost only $400 and you get the benefits of an improved head with new valve guides and seats. You spend more trying to recondition your old head and risk getting poor machine work.

Not a bad idea, although I would go with the Ferreas over the stock valves/springs. It will be a nice bulletproof package.

But will an '05 pipe still bolt up?? Did they change the exhaust port location at all? :thumbsup:

But will an '05 pipe still bolt up?? Did they change the exhaust port location at all? :thumbsup:

excellent question...

i dont' know the answer, but I assumed they tilted the whol motor...that they DIDNT tilt/adjust/change parts on the motor itself...ie, the exhaust would still bolt up correctly...

of course i'm guessing.

Yeah, and with the pipe question, mine is an '03 model so it's possibly less likely.

I'm having some crazy ideas go through my head right now anyways... So I'll wait till I pull it apart. I got a crap load done on my truck last night and there's potential for it to be on the ground tonight so I'll probably be working on it. I'll get to the bike sometime this week for sure though!!! Thanks for the advice guys...

Khris