Sign in to follow this  

Can any UK DRZ-ers give me an opinion / lend a hand?

OK guys.... So I bought a cylinder + piston + head + cams (complete cylinder assembly) for my SV which happens to be in the UK off eBay for GPB 50.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250011057903

Now my problem is the seller has fixed shipping rate of GPB 15.00 for UK buyers...... It said international buyers would get an invoice with the total amount later.

But when I got my total invoice he put a total of GPB 87.00 for shipping alone (137 total) to send it to me here in California~! :crazy::thumbsup::ride::ride::cry:

So is it just me or is he off his rocker? I can't even fathom it costing that much money for shipping. Thats almost twice what the item total is. I have purchased small items from the UK before and it wasn't very much money at all.

1. So can anyone give me an opinion on whats practical from thier experience shipping items overseas?

2. If he is off his rocker..... and wont compromise..... could any of you guys help me out with a ship to you before shipping to me to help me avoid this huge shipping price? I'll make it worth your while for sure. Give you some $ for a 12 pack or something. :ride:

Nate, I just sent a DRZ cylinder to Eddie, and it came to £16.50 without insurance and not trackable.

I posted a front disc and calliper bracket today to the US and it was £14.00 :

If it is any help he can ship it to me, and I can then send it on to you at cost, only to happy to help.

The biggest variable is the weight, and how he may have packed it.

But even so, I can't see it being more than £50 at the outside, if you can get a total package weight from him I can cost it for you.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

Welcome to the world of international shipping. I have been thru this also. What you pay for shipping has nothing to do with item cost. It depends on how the item is shipped and weight of course. Generally postal shipping is the least expensieve. UPS only ships air so that costs a lot and some places only use USP. The lession I learned is, if I buy overseas, I need to konw the full shipping cost before I buy.

I have a 1970 Honda CL450 motorcycle seat sold on ebay going to Australia. 12 pounds. Shipping USPS surface is $35 and 6 weeks. Shipping air is $75 and 1 week or so. Customer paid $100 for the seat and wants it air shipped, so - $175 USD for a seat.

Ya $75 would be fine I could live with that.

$180 is not.

Thanks for the advice guys. Neil I appreciate your offer for help greatly! :thumbsup:

Can't you contact the guy if he can find another shipping option? TT store quoted $180 to send some rad guards and case savers to me, but got I it for $65 just selecting a different service.

Still, even if you gotta pay full price for shipping, 137 quid for a full set up seems like a pretty good price.

Neil I appreciate your offer for help greatly! :ride:

Just a thought Nate, surface shipping is much cheaper, takes about 6 to 8 weeks.

Not sure if time is an issue, but it's worth looking into.

Over here it can be done from the local post office, the cylinder that I returned to Eddie would have been £8.00 half price.

Neil.

:thumbsup::cry::ride:

OK update.... His reply email says that is the actual cost they want to ship the item.

He told me if I didn't want it because of shipping he would not leave me negative feedback and also said he would not pay that for shipping either.

He said its 9.9KG. I will ask him through what carrier.....

My address info is El Dorado, CA 95623 USA

Maybe you can do that calculation Neil? Appreciate it.

He said its 9.9KG. I will ask him through what carrier.....

My address info is El Dorado, CA 95623 USA

Maybe you can do that calculation Neil? Appreciate it.

Nate I shall go to the post office tomorrow and ask.

Will post the answer tomorrow evening.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

EDIT: Just tried to get a price online, "service not available"

Just had a look on the Royal Mail website www.royalmail.co.uk and all the PO services seem to have a 2kg limit so i guess you will have to wait for Neils trip to the Post Office.

Sorry Nate, the news is not good.

Just got back from the post office.

Global Express is £86.25 insured for £130.00

International 1st class is £86.10 also insured for £130.00

And surface mail is £64.85 no insurance and not traceable, takes 6 to 8 weeks.

Hope you can find a cheaper service from DHL or UPS etc.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

Nate , dont want to put a damper on your deal but , if by any chance you cannot find cheaper shipping, and do not want to go ahead with deal,would you please let me know. i have within last week seized my e model . will be delighted for you to get cheaper shipping rate , Ivan.

Nate , dont want to put a damper on your deal but , if by any chance you cannot find cheaper shipping, and do not want to go ahead with deal,would you please let me know. i have within last week seized my e model . will be delighted for you to get cheaper shipping rate , Ivan.
:cry:

Actually I am refering to my SV1000S here. :thumbsup:

Shipping came to GPB 50 through UPS or DHL.

Expensive but I can live with that.

Neil thanks again for the help! :ride:

Yea just seen that , had previousley seen drz barrell & piston on ebay ah well. Good work on the shipping though!