Sign in to follow this  

So I learned something new This Morning..

So i got a call from Temecual Motorsports. They charge 108$ for a lace up of new new spokes! Ouch! So I am hoping to confirm soon that less then 5 of have come out. I still need to spend like 10$ on the tube and then with the spokes will be free if its only like 2-4. Lets hope this rim is still savable for a small amount of money!

Yea its unfortnet for a 16 year to have to do that first then to go riding the TTr after not haven been riden it in like a few months! I am dien over here fella's!

i payed 40 to get my new rim laced up, local mechanic does it for me, cheap and helpful, he told me how to change my bearings, instead of gettin charged 120 at the zooky shop

Were in California are you? There is a place in Grand Terrace (between Riverside and San Bernardino) that just did mine for $70.

Dang you guys are getting hosed. I had two rims done at different times for a grand total of a case of coors light. And since then I have done all of my own. They are really easy to do, especially rears. Just get all of the spokes started at the same length and then go around and snug them up equally. After all the spokes are snug, install the rim onto your bike and use two screw drivers taped to your swingarm to true it, Unless you have acces to a truing stand.

Dang you guys are getting hosed. I had two rims done at different times for a grand total of a case of coors light. And since then I have done all of my own. They are really easy to do, especially rears. Just get all of the spokes started at the same length and then go around and snug them up equally. After all the spokes are snug, install the rim onto your bike and use two screw drivers taped to your swingarm to true it, Unless you have acces to a truing stand.

This is all quite true(no-pun-intended), it's pretty easy to lace wheels and it's pretty easy to true them, but it is very difficult to "round" and "center" them without a truing stand and a lot of patience and some knowledge of offsets.

You can do it and get fairly close and if you want to save some money have at it, but please don't underestimate the ammount of knowledge and experience it takes to lace and true a wheel correctly.

im in the same position (same age group too 17). some of my rear spokes are loose and rattle around and my mech said its like 100 bucks to get them done. i was about to look into how hard it is to do myself. only a few are loose, do they all need replacing??

also my front disc break like rattles, or is loose. not sure what to do with that either...

I laced my wheels a looooooong time ago (before I knew how stupid I was). Must have lucked out because both wheels centred true without any problems. I did (however) not start with a rim in one hand, a bunch of spokes in another and a hub in another (I'm a very handy person).

What I did was replace one spoke at a time, tightening it so that it made the same ping sound as the ones on either side of it. Just went round 'til they were all replaced. Spun the wheel and it was perfect. My suggestion to those that would lace a wheel is give it a go and if you cannot centre the wheel (which is much harder than straightening a lateral deformation) THEN take it to the local wheel guy. At the very least you would save on an hour or two labour charges because the mechanic would not have to remove the old spokes and fit the new ones (assuming you did not screw up the lace pattern in the first place).

Meatbomb........

i wonder if there is somewhere online that describes the process like a manual

in my case... i had to have a new spoke kit in the rear (long story) and two new rims (both cracked). so in my case they were starting from new. $70 to lace a rim.