Sign in to follow this  

Pros and Cons - TE450 or TE510

I'm considering one of these two bikes for enduro, orv, and dual sport use in Georgia. I was expecting to wait on the '07 models and leaning toward the TE450 to save a few hundred $$$ and have a little better throttle response. I've been told the weight is the same and the difference is just a longer stroke for the TE510. My understanding is that the 450 revs quicker and has a little more snap and the 510 is a little slower to rev and more torquey.

Are these assessments born out by those of you who have ridden one (or both) of these bikes?

I may have a chance to buy an '06 TE510 now as opposed to waiting until probably September to get my choice of an '07 450 or 510.

Reading some reviews here that indicate the TE450 could be touchy on the throttle for some riders. If this is true then maybe the TE510 would work better for me. I'm not a motocross style rider. The bike would be used for trail riding, orv, and enduros, with a few dual sport rides thrown in for good measure.

Thanks!

James

You are spot on ,on your assessment. Buy the 510, you won't be sorry :thumbsup:

What's up GA Thumper? You'll be my new neighbor soon. I'm packing up the TE450 and headed back to the Atlanta area this fall. It will be good to be back home. We'll have to hook up.

Anyway, I have been on both. I think your assessment is spot-on accurate. IMHO, I think the 510 is easier to ride in any situation. The bikes are super close though, there's really not a lot of difference. For trail riding I'd suggest the 450 'cause it lofts the front wheel ever so slightly easier. Don't get me wrong, the 510 will do a power wheelie too. You know what I'm saying. You may want to think about the 250 too. I didn't because I'm 6'4", 230, but when George from Uptite told me his team won their class on a TE250 at Baja that made me scratch my head a little. Baja should be high speed and a 250 shouldn't do that well. Guess I underestimate the little bike. I'm hoping to ride one of those soon.

You'll love Husky though. I have 600+ miles on my TE450, no significant problems. It's an awesome bike. Just got back from Hatfield-McCoy's. The bike and I became one there. It was almost a religious experience. I danced on her pegs as she roared like a lion and moved like a mongoose. Huskys are the best bikes out there. I just saw an ad for Honda that says "Best on Earth". They should be sued for faulty advertising.

Thanks for the replies. I should know by Wednesday if the '06 TE510 is available. Or I wait a couple of months and get my choice of the 450 or 510.

I do like the idea that the TE450 is only a blip of the throttle away from lifting the front tire. That's a useful characteristic in the woods.

I'm just getting back in the dirt after many years of street only riding. I just went and bought a used Suzuki '05 DRZ 400s and was planning on outfitting it for more off road use, but I found out the '06 Husky and '07 KTMs are street legal and they seem like they would be a much better dirt bike.

I would be spending between $1000 and $2000 on the DRZ to make it work the way I want it to. This will get me so close to the price of the TE450 it's worth considering. And the DRZ weighs about 60 pounds more. I may go ahead and sell the DRZ before I put it in the woods and depreciate it's value and go ahead and get the Husky.

As for the 250, I'm a big guy and used to open class bikes so I'll probably be happier on the 450 or the 510. I ride more like a really fast tractor instead of a motocross style of riding.

Thanks,

James

I can't speak about the 450 but the 510 is a very user friendly bike. The power is very linear and predictable. For the kind of riding you've described, I think it will be an excellent choice. :thumbsup::ride::cry::ride:

Thanks for the replies. I should know by Wednesday if the '06 TE510 is available. Or I wait a couple of months and get my choice of the 450 or 510.

I do like the idea that the TE450 is only a blip of the throttle away from lifting the front tire. That's a useful characteristic in the woods.

I'm just getting back in the dirt after many years of street only riding. I just went and bought a used Suzuki '05 DRZ 400s and was planning on outfitting it for more off road use, but I found out the '06 Husky and '07 KTMs are street legal and they seem like they would be a much better dirt bike.

I would be spending between $1000 and $2000 on the DRZ to make it work the way I want it to. This will get me so close to the price of the TE450 it's worth considering. And the DRZ weighs about 60 pounds more. I may go ahead and sell the DRZ before I put it in the woods and depreciate it's value and go ahead and get the Husky.

As for the 250, I'm a big guy and used to open class bikes so I'll probably be happier on the 450 or the 510. I ride more like a really fast tractor instead of a motocross style of riding.

Thanks,

James

My riding needs are similar to yours. No racing. Just a wide variety of trail riding and DS stuff. All the TEs have very strong motors, but they are not difficult to control IMHO. They are excellent bikes and you'll be smiling all day on either the 450 or the 510.

I was riding at Hatfield McCoys this weekend with a guy on a DRZ. He pointed out tons of things about the huskys he liked way better than his DRZ. Things I don't even look at like the way the valve train is moulded around the spark plug, how the seat comes off with one thumb turn and access to the air box is so easy, he liked something about the bolts on the forks... I don't even know what he was talking about there, but he loved our bikes! He couldn't keep up because the DRZ just isn't made for bombing trails. But it is much better on the street! Sounds like you're making a good decision to sell the zookie before riding it in the woods. I'm sure you would enjoy the DRZ, but you will love the husky.

Have any of you had a chance to compare the Huskys to a KTM?

Say TE450 v/s 450EXC?

I've gotta at least consider the KTM before I pull the trigger on the TE.

The only KTM I have ridden was an 03 525. I found it to be Orange, lighter, less stable, not nearly as smooth in power or ride. Could not change back to my bike quick enough. Just my take?

The EXC has a huge crankshaft, lots of rotating weight! The good new bad news is;

Heavy crank requires much more rider effort to get the bike to move left to right. If your in great shape that may be OK, for most of us it leaves us with our tounge hanging out late in the day.

THe heavy crank is superior in slime, the wet clay kind of stuff where your just trying to get thru.

The light crank bike is much more responsive, feels more agressive yet takes less effort.

The EXC has a wider range of gear ratios, better if you going 75 down a paved road for molies to conect with the trails

The TE is a more modern engine, first introduced in 04 where the EXC was introduced in 00. Both manufactorors study what works for the other and Husky has leared lots from KTM and used it to improve.

The Husky with its more modern valve gear makes more power per engine size then the EXC (new KTM 250 is up to modern design, the single cam 450EXC while very good stuff is old school design)

I ride a 450TE and it has more power then I can use in the woods, (I really wish they would make a 350). I have spent a little time on a 510 and frankly I can not comprehend using its power.

I ride a 450TE and it has more power then I can use in the woods, (I really wish they would make a 350). I have spent a little time on a 510 and frankly I can not comprehend using its power.

Ditto on the 350 remark. A 250 doesn't have enough down low and the 450 has far more than needed in the middle and on top.

Greg

I ride a TE450, couldn't be happier with it. NO racing for this OLD guy,

I ride mostly Desert, but some woods and soon D S. At 6'2" and 230#'s

She has plenty of power but not too much. Can loft the front end over rocks/logs with very little effort. If I had any complaints, it would be the tranny ratios, She runs a little high in the RPM's at highway speed, but I don't often do that anyway, just to connect the trails and if it takes a little longer (slower) to to connect, Oh Well.

The stock tires are JUNK, but other than rad guards, pipe guard, and a skidplate, She is ready to :thumbsup::ride::cry:

From a similar question on another board.....

IMHO, the TE is like an EXC with a good dose of testoserone. It is a more performance oriented bike. I don't have any trouble with control on the TE450, but when I really honk it, the power is amazing.

Husky TE

=======

Short stroke motor, revs quick and pulls hard.

Close ratio tranny, always in "right" gear, great for nasty trails, not well suited for highway use (I run stock 13/50 gearing).

Suspension setup is on the firmer side.

Overall bike feel is very stable and planted. Holds a line very well, but can also feel front heavy.

Routine maintenance is quite easy.

KTM EXC

=======

Longer stroke motor, slower revving, lugs a bit better.

Wide ratio tranny, can feel "gappy" in real tight terrain, but much better for higher speed riding or highway use (every EXC owner I know has geared their bike down).

Suspension is setup softer.

Overall bike feel is lighter and more maneuverable. Front end tends to wander a bit, especially in sand. After time on the TE, I tend to wash out the front easier when on the KTM.

Routine maintenance is OK, but not as easy as TE.

Overall build and component quality is excellent on both bikes.

I agree. I think a 350 would be a very useful bike for woods type riding. A 250 is just a little too small and a 450 and up is too much most of the time. Most of my riding is done in the desert where a 450 and 510 shine. For woods riding though, I would prefer a smaller bike.

I also agree with the earlier comments about the KTM. My 520 is an excellent dual sport bike because of the wide ratio 6 speed. It is also a nice bike in the desert. Since getting my TE510 though, I ride it most of the time now. I like the power delivery, stability, and handling better on the TE.

Thanks for all the replies and sharing your experiences. I'll be taking all of this info into my decision making processes.

Just thinking through some other options too. What if I gave up the street legal requirement and went for just a great enduro and trail bike...

I just saw a review of the '07 Yamaha WR450 http://www.motorcycledaily.com/27june06_07wrs.htm and it looks like they have made a great bike even better for '07. Now if they had just gone one step farther and made it street legal we'd have "game on" for Husky and KTM. So far none of the Japanese makers have supplied a full on dirt machine that is DOT legal. I think they are going to have to step up to the plate or see more and more Japanese bike riders ante up for the DOT enduro bikes. Who is going to hit the market first... Suzuki with a DOT RMX450, Honda with a DOT CRF 450, or Yamaha with a DOT WR450.

One question I would like address came up in a DRZ 400 thread today, Are the frames (or any other components) weaker on the Husky (and/or KTM) to acheive the lower weights. I can't remember the exact comment, I'll have to go look it up to be sure.

Thanks Again,

James

This is the exact same reason why I got a TC450. The TC is so trick. Ohlins, full ti arrow exaust, excel, etc...

I've never riden a DRZ. But, I don't think I'll regret getting a more dirt oriented bike. There is a trail within 1/4 mile from my garage. Now, all I need is the automatic door opener. Trail riding can't be much easier.

Serious though. It's cool seeing someone see the same thing I did, and come to the same conclusion.

M

PS: How does the DRZ compare to the TE450 anyway? Just curious.

I was riding at Hatfield McCoys this weekend with a guy on a DRZ. He pointed out tons of things about the huskys he liked way better than his DRZ. Things I don't even look at like the way the valve train is moulded around the spark plug, how the seat comes off with one thumb turn and access to the air box is so easy, he liked something about the bolts on the forks... I don't even know what he was talking about there, but he loved our bikes! He couldn't keep up because the DRZ just isn't made for bombing trails. But it is much better on the street! Sounds like you're making a good decision to sell the zookie before riding it in the woods. I'm sure you would enjoy the DRZ, but you will love the husky.

If you check the fork bolts, the head is domed in. It makes them lighter with out compromising strength. I totally love how easy the TC450 is to work on. Much easier than most bikes. It seems to be engineered really well if that sort of attention to detail is present in such often overlooked components.

How well do they hold up? Are the MV Husqvarnas more or less reliable than the Sweedish ones?

M

Who is going to hit the market first... Suzuki with a DOT RMX450, Honda with a DOT CRF 450, or Yamaha with a DOT WR450.

One question I would like address came up in a DRZ 400 thread today, Are the frames (or any other components) weaker on the Husky (and/or KTM) to acheive the lower weights.

two very funny comments. dream on.

The Japanese bikes don't compare to the Euro bikes IMO. Not close. Euro bikes put way better components on across the board. Better suspension on the Husky. And the motor on the Husky has buttery smooth power and tons of it. More HP than any other 450 according to comparisons I have seen in Dirt Rider and online. Even without the street legal requirement the Husky is still the best deal. Husaberg and KTM are more expensive than the Husky and they are the only ones that a fair comparison can be made against. The Yammy is lighter, but probably not as stable or the suspension isn't as good. The Yammy is a five speed, Husky is six. Japan makes MX bikes, Europe makes off road bikes. In short, you get what you pay for. The Husky costs more than any Jap bike, but it is a better value.

One question I would like address came up in a DRZ 400 thread today, Are the frames (or any other components) weaker on the Husky (and/or KTM) to acheive the lower weights. I can't remember the exact comment, I'll have to go look it up to be sure.

Thanks Again,

James

That is kind of funny. I think what BigBob was trying to say is there is nothing, not one thing, that is weaker on the Husky than on a DRZ. The Husky is like a DRZ on steroids. It's a total step up in every regard of toughness and quality.