Sign in to follow this  

boot question

I broke the very bottom front of my tibia last Wednesday and I was wondering if having better/newer boots could have prevented this.

I wear Tech 8's, but they are 4-5 years old. I moto about 5-10 times per year and probably average 2-3 rides per month, so the boots still seem pretty good.

Here is what happened. I overjumped a jump and landed into the face of another one. I had slid my foot back on the peg a little so the ball of my foot was on the peg so I could absorb the impact. Well, apparently my ankle got most of it. As I stated before the bottom and front of the tibia broke off. I never crashed and it didn't even hurt that much, I just rode to the ambulance and got off the bike.

Is it possible that a newer Tech 8 or different brand/model could have prevented this?

I would post pics of the x-rays, but I only have them in Hard copy.

I don't think the Tech 8's have changed much, yours should have the steel shank in the sole. If you land hard enough, even the best boots in the world probably won't save you. How far did you jump?

I don't think the Tech 8's have changed much, yours should have the steel shank in the sole. If you land hard enough, even the best boots in the world probably won't save you. How far did you jump?

I think the jump was only about 60', but it was the size of it and the problem that I had a lapse in concentration and thought I was on a different jump. I shorted the jump and landed on the face of the second one. The takeoff ramp was about 10'.

Another part of the problem is that when I realized I was going to hit hard, I moved my feet so that the balls of my feet were on the foot pegs, not the arches. When I hit, my feet didn't leave the pegs at all, they just flexed.

My question was since the motion was straight up like that, would a hinge style boot, aka SIDI, be better at handling that type of motion?

I would post pics of the x-rays, but I only have them in Hard copy.

Taking a pic of the xray with a digital camera works pretty good.

There have been many posts regarding boots recently, even if the search function is disabled due to high volume you will find much just by viewing the general and health forums.

The SG10 & Sidi crossfires are the first ones I will look at when the time comes, if they don't work out for some reason then the oxtars/tech 10s.

Tech 8's, ...4-5 years old. I moto about 5-10 times per year and ... average 2-3 rides per month, so the boots still seem pretty good.

:thumbsup: my boots normally last a year, max. 18 month

in a good year I ride every weekend - make that 50 rides for a pair of boots

then the steel insole starts to soften, the seams slowly give in, the creases in the leather get deep and the boot feels like sneaker with boot leg

I tore out one of the hinges of my cheapo ARCs after 11 month on last year's boots, did not get hurt doing so, Sidis did not last longer nor feel safer

My question was since the motion was straight up like that, would a hinge style boot, aka SIDI, be better at handling that type of motion?

mostlikely not even a brandnew Sidi will prevent every injury

your question sounds a little like 'if I jumped out of an airplane without parachute should I wear Adidas or Nikes?'