Sign in to follow this  

good bike for the wife

I was thinking of buying a kx85 for my wife. She mostly rides trails and has ridden a couple of hare scrambles. She struggles with the weight of her crf230. I was curious if it is possible to get good smooth tractible power out of the kx?

Why don't you look at the TTR-125's, KLX 125's or the Honda CRF150's? The KX85's are neat little bikes but for her purposes i think a 4 stroke 125 or 150 would be a better fit and more enjoyable on trails.

I was thinking of buying a kx85 for my wife. She mostly rides trails and has ridden a couple of hare scrambles. She struggles with the weight of her crf230. I was curious if it is possible to get good smooth tractible power out of the kx?

Really not a good choice of bike. KX85's are competition based bikes, engineered to be kept screaming by an expert level youth pilots. You could make one "trail friendly" but your wife simply will never be comfortable with the brutal peaky powerband. I strongly suggest a mellow 4 stroke like a TTR125L or even an XR100. These engines are so smooth and mellow, that women had far more fun, than trying to ride a finicky "race rocket". My wife tags along on an older XR100, and loves it.

well if you really want a little pinner like an 85 you should just go for a KX100. The 100s have a smoother power band, and if you put a flywheel weight it will be great. But a ttr125L would be rad too, those are great little bikes. I know a lady who has one who really tiny and she can ride it very well.

well if you really want a little pinner like an 85 you should just go for a KX100. The 100s have a smoother power band, and if you put a flywheel weight it will be great. But a ttr125L would be rad too, those are great little bikes. I know a lady who has one who really tiny and she can ride it very well.

Good advice here. The kx100 has some low end power too, not just all top end like the 85 and not as much 'light switch' hit. If she's not into racing & roosting then consider the ttr125. My wife and daughter ride them and love them. The crf150 weighs almost as much as the 230, probably not the best choice.

i agree with the posts about the kx 100. my wife is 5' 2" and 100 lbs. i bought her a ttr 125 L as her first bike and within 2 years she bought a kx 100. she's had it now for 2 1/2 years and loves it. IMS makes a large capacity tank for this bike as well, if that is something you'd be interested in. it's the only 2 stroke mini they make one for as far as i know! :thumbsup:

I would go the KX100 route, however, talk to eric gorr; a KX85 cylinder bored out to the 100's diameter leaves the porting just about perfect for friendly low-midrange power.

My wife reall ylikes her KX100 - her CRF150 was beating the snot out of her (heavy, 1980's tech level suspension).

the wife has a kx100 and loves it, we ride off road only and pretty tight technical stuff too, the little 100 works really good!

pro circuit pipe

52 rear sproket

did chain

renthal bars

cycra hand guards

What are you guys recommending a 2 stroke 85 or 100? Have you gone completely off your rockers? (respectfully) Come on people. If she struggles with the cr230f, then a pushbutton start little 4 stroke is probably the way to go. The kx85 is a rocket compared to the cr230f. Plus no kickstand, no lights, no electric start. Think about it. She is struggling with the cr230f, she is not even close to ready for the kx85, and probably never will be. Little pushbutton 4 stroke. Get the bike for HER, not for you.

(in my humble opinion, sirs)

i agree with the guys about a smaller 4 stroke.are you sure shell never get use to her 230?my oldest son has akx100 that things crazy my younger son who rides a 230 wont ride it.

If you are going the 2 stroke 85 route, get a yz85.. its lightyears ahead of the Green K's

also, if she finds the 230 overpowered and heavy, a TTR-125 would fit the bill...i've ridden one...they have VERY managable power, so-so suspension (if she's on trails it'll be fine)

the ttr-125 i'm sure will never need much maintenance...

the Yz-85 DOES like to be pinned throttle once n a while :thumbsup:

personally i would choose the klx or ttr. but if she needs a lighter, but powerful bike the kx100 is the way to go in my opinion. i havent ridden an 80-85 in a while but back when i was on them they were real pipey.

in my opinion , the crf230 weighs within a few pounds of an xr250 and the seat height is about the same , so this tells me that she isn't a short girl. If your looking at a kx100 its a good bike but you lose wheel and tire size for riding in the loose stuff which can make it harder to ride , not to mention you have to put a heavy flywheel weight on and larger tank .

Look at the kdx 200 , good power ,easy starting and very tractorable power, not to mention better braking . I could be wrong but i believe it would be around 25 lbs lighter than the 230 and most of that weight is on the top.

I say all this because my wife had an xr200 and liked it but after riding the kdx 200 she never went back , she sayes it is easier to ride and feels way lighter than the xr , not to mention it starts on the first or second kick even if its been on its side .

he said she struggles with the weight...not the power

regardless of what you said there is a big differance in power that she might not be use to.also as in another post the wheel size is a big factor as far as

stability and feel.when i ride my sons kx100 i can feel every rock,but thats also cause of my xtra #s

I think the 4 stroke is the thing to stick with maybe a CRF 150 lighter alittle smaller and predictable power. No 2 stroke to un predictable power delivery. She could get in trouble Quickly.

What are you guys recommending a 2 stroke 85 or 100? Have you gone completely off your rockers? (respectfully) Come on people. If she struggles with the cr230f, then a pushbutton start little 4 stroke is probably the way to go. The kx85 is a rocket compared to the cr230f. Plus no kickstand, no lights, no electric start. Think about it. She is struggling with the cr230f, she is not even close to ready for the kx85, and probably never will be. Little pushbutton 4 stroke. Get the bike for HER, not for you.

(in my humble opinion, sirs)

Speaking from experience (which of you have provided none here), my wife has an easier time on a bike 70 pounds lighter with the hit than she does being thrown around on her CRF.

Also, why does everybody insist that women need e-start? They need shown how to correctly start the motorcycle (like we all once did) and they do great.

You make it sound like women are to be thought of as weak and stupid. :thumbsup:

Speaking from experience (which of you have provided none here), my wife has an easier time on a bike 70 pounds lighter with the hit than she does being thrown around on her CRF.

Also, why does everybody insist that women need e-start? They need shown how to correctly start the motorcycle (like we all once did) and they do great.

You make it sound like women are to be thought of as weak and stupid. :applause:

Depending on what she is struggling with on the cr230f, depending on her height a KX/KLX might be too short, I'm 5'1 and pretty much tip toe on the KX100, there are times that I'm too short to catch myself when I get off balance and I topple over, but the bike is in most situation light enough for me to pick back up. I have a 12oz flywheel weight on my KX and it did a lot to help with my being able to use the power of the bike to my benefit. It was still a big learning curve from a little tractor XR100, but I love it now. The little KLX, and XR type bikes are great to learn on, and putter around on but if you need brakes, power, and suspension they are lacking (in my opinion). I race endure's/hare scrambles etc and trail ride and the KX is has way more potential than I have riding ability at this point. I'll be able to race competitively on this bike. But 2 strokes also take more daily upkeep than the 4 stroke, between top ends, jetting etc it's more work, rewarding for sure but more work.

I've also ridden a older KX 85 and it was much more low end unfriendly, it fouled plugs easier, needed to be ridden harder etc. The KX 100 is more user friendly, a little taller etc.

As for E-start :thumbsup: ....pish posh. Personally I'm glad I've never had a bike with it, I'm not really into being babied when I ride, I wanna ride with the fast guys and want to earn my spot with them. By having to kick start my bike every time I promise you that I learned to quit stalling about 10x's sooner than I would have if I had estart.

I think we really need more information about your wife's size, goals, riding mentality before a really good recommendation can be made. :applause: