Sign in to follow this  

Newbie needs trail info for Wisconsin

Sorry about the double post.

Hi, I am new to this list and getting back into off road riding. My son and i are heading to Hayward WI for a week and want to bring our bikes, I see a lot of trails marked ATV only and am wondering where I can ride an actual 2 wheeled vehicle. So far the only trail I know of for sure is the Tri county corridor and there is some question on that because some of the trail is on public roads and for whatever reason, you can't register a motorcycle as an of road vehicle so legally it cannot be operated on the roadway, and if I plate it it can't be ridden on the trail. Any pointers or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

ATV trails in Jackson County allow street-legal bikes on their trails. There are off-road specific trails in Clark County. Check their websites for maps and info. I have a DR-Z 400S that I use in Jackson County. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that info, it's south of where we're going but any info helps. I have found a lot of trails allow street legal bikes but not off road only, my son is only 11 so it'll be a while before he can ride on the road. I found that the Chequamegon National forest allows off road bikes on their trails but most counties don't, kind of odd.

Jackson county allows ALL off road bikes under 600cc on their trail system!

There are noise restictions although I never been checked.

Clark county allows licensed dual prpose bikes only. No off road bikes.

Your in Luck!

Some of the best, possibly the best, riding is 30 mi from Hayward. It's 6000 acres, yep six thousand! acres of private land. Curently @ 65 mile of tight single track/trail. There was am endro in June @ 300 racers? Usually 10-40 folks riding the trails on weekends.

The last time I was up phill was starting work on the MX track, the track is built but very rocky and he was starting to pick rock and top with real dirt.

There is a private lake for fishing and swimming, very nice bar and restraunt, and he has very nice cabins.

Summit Lake

Phill Johnson

715-558-1664

Thanks for the input, I talked to Phil last night and we're going o check the Summit lake sportsman club out on Tuesday. I'll give a full report when I get back.

Well, just got back to work after my week in the north woods. We explored 2 trails in the national forest just north of the Chippewa flowage, one was a little tight and had a lot of downed trees, the other was used a lot by ATVs so it was wide and clear, great for my 11 year old son and me, who hadn't been on a dirt bike in 10 years. The best time however was at Lake Summit Sportsman's club, Phil is a great guy and the trails ranged from gravel logging roads, to grass paths, to narrow twisty enduro trails through thick woods with a lot of elevation changes. The moto cross track had been washed out by heavy rains and was rocky on the hills and muddy at the bottom. The place is great, lodge with a bar, cabins for rent and a lake stocked with bass. I would have been happy to spend a few days there fishing and riding, maybe next year. Thanks for all your input and check out lake Summit if you can.

Hey...

Its sounds like a great place... Do you know the website? Any ideas on camping or cabin rental fees? How long were the trails? We have ridden the Black River Falls trails... Is the terrain and such similiar...? We had a great riding experience.. It was quite sandy in some areas... We rode 1 trail and went about 40 miles roundtrip.

thanks.

Nick

The web address is www.summitlakegamefarm.com it appears to be under construction. Calling Phil was my best source of information. As far as trail length, I was riding with my 11 year old son who was doing his best keeping up with me on his rt100. we did about 20 miles and didn't cover all the trails but covered some twice. Unlike a county trail, that goes from point A to point B, they loop and intersect each other. Makes for a fun day.

It may be a haul for you coming from Illinois, but Knobby Ridge is one way single track. Not too long but may be worth a half day stop on your way to Hayward sometime. This is in Clarke County (I believe), and as another poster said, you need a street legal bike to ride the ATV trails around there.

Thanks, you know, I don't understand the street legal thing, my son is 11 he can't ride a street legal bike. How are families that ride together suppose to do that in Wisconsin, I guess the strong ATV lobby has pushed their right to ride through and maybe the dirt bikers should do the same. I saw 2 father and son pairs out riding their ATVs together on trail, I want to ride with my son and I'm sure there are other families that want to do the same. Are there any dirt bike clubs around?

Thanks, you know, I don't understand the street legal thing, my son is 11 he can't ride a street legal bike. How are families that ride together suppose to do that in Wisconsin, I guess the strong ATV lobby has pushed their right to ride through and maybe the dirt bikers should do the same. I saw 2 father and son pairs out riding their ATVs together on trail, I want to ride with my son and I'm sure there are other families that want to do the same. Are there any dirt bike clubs around?

The strong ATV club in Hatfield Wi cried enough where Clark county agreed with them to ban off road bikes on the ATV trails. Even though Dirtbikes rode those trails long before four wheelers existed.

Myself, and I also encourage anyone who rides a offroad bike to avoid Clark cty at all cost.

Fortunately Jackson cty allows dirtbikes but for how long is anyone's guess.

The Jackson cty trail system has around a 110 miles of trails for ATV's and off road bikes.

All I had to do is sit in the bars on Vacation in Hatfield and listen to the ATV club members talk after ingesting a few beers and it was real clear how that club feels about dirtbikes and they wish they were not allowed on any of the trail systems.

Jackson county allows ALL off road bikes under 600cc on their trail system!

There are noise restictions although I never been checked.

Clark county allows licensed dual prpose bikes only. No off road bikes.

Yo, my bad!! I had it backwards!!! :thumbsup:

Yo, my bad!! I had it backwards!!! :thumbsup:

No big deal. It just upsets me that dirtbikers are being banned from trails because a few from the ATV clubs dont like bikes.

In Hatfield Wi, Jackson cty closed the connector rd between Jackson cty and Clark cty. Now we cannot ride on the paved roads to the Mug and to the BP gas station. That should slow the ATVers down a little with-out bar and gas access from Jackson cty.

When I first started riding those trails you could not ride in town and it was a much more pleasant riding experience back then. We used to carry our own gas. Med flight wasnt picking up uninsured ATVers three times a week either which has Gunderson Hospital wanting the trails shut down. Back before ATV's you never had landowners closing trail sections on their property.

The noise complaints from houses and landowners is at a all time high also.

I never seen such a mess, I only ride on weekdays to avoid the BS.

Yes camping and cabins are availble. I am not sure what Phil charges for camping as the RV sites are not in yet, I have seen many self contained campers staying on site. I was told the cabins are $150/nite? They looked very nice, fully furnished sleep @ 10? Looked like a great value for the cycle clubs using them.

Last time I rode there was @ 60 miles of new tight single track, some fast, some very tight, lots of rocks. There have been several clubs cutting new trail all the time, Phil seams to be open to experienced riders cutting new trails.

If you have not checked out this place you should! It's great!

Summit Lake.

Phil Johnson

715-558-1664 :thumbsup::ride::applause: