Sign in to follow this  

Ex roadracers, SM ppl.. advice / opinions?

Here's the deal..

Into my third year of roadracing now.. 600rr.. we run a pretty short course www.stratotech.ca . Anyway picked up a dr-z400sm for the street for fun.. i'm so sold on SM it's insane.. sportbikes just feel stupid now especially on the street.. I did a track day on this thing and it was a hoot..

I'm contemplating selling my RR and buying maybe a CRF450R or something comparable to run as a dirt bike (never ridden in the dirt before) and a supermotard racer .. Question is.. is this feasible.. and people who've done something similiar do you miss the roadrace machine?

thanks,

tawheed

I did just that. Ridden sport bikes on the street and track for years. Sold 'em and got a 'tard and a dirt bike. Couldn't be happier.

I posted this in another thread...

I used to own both, an R6 and a street legal WR400! now its a Husky SMR510! I dumped the R6 because by the time I got my adrenaline rush I was usually pushing 130mph and while on the brakes I kept thinking "the only place for this kind of speed is on the track" (I'm an x-roadracer) and believe me the 510 has some pull, but it just tops out at 100mph. and mile long wheelies are kinda fun too, specially at 40mph. :thumbsup: and I am taking it to BeaverRun today to get my roadracing fix :ride:

SMR510rr.jpg

The short of the story is, You wont regret it!

Get a supermoto bike, do everything with it, and you'll never look back! These things are FUN!

51102smaller9pu.jpg

i just did it.. sold both street/race bikes, couldnt be happier.. its so much cheaper, funner... i dont miss my streetbikes at all!!!

My CRF works just great at Stratotech. It's the perfect size for motards. Now if we could only talk Dan into a dirt section we'd be set. There's also the supermoto track in Westaskawin and a new track that Angus was telling me was going in just west of there as well. Do it, you'll never look back.

If you've got the tighter tracks then the SM's deliver all the grins you can carry in one bag on your back. And when you finally get the back to slither around some tight hairpin and then launch out the other side then you'll never go back to simply carving a turn....

Most would think I have it backwards. My big money bike (the one with all the mods) is my little YZ80 that I race in the mini class. I'm getting ready to start racing lites next year with my [new to me] YZ250F.....My R6 just sits in the garage and is pretty much my play bike. I refuse to put any money into it. I ride it on the street and the occasional track day...but I feel better and have more fun on my SM's than the R6. The day will come, but I am not quite ready to let the R6 go yet.

turn a few laps on a newer gsxr 750 and you will be able to let the R6 go!

a few years back I got asked to race a 3hour on a 750 that I have never ridden before and got cut from practice becuase of a crash and hadent been on a racetrack in over a year. I was scheduled to run the second hour, so everyone is doing hot laps and here I jump on a bike I've never riden, but by the 1/2 hour mark I was convinced it was the best street/race bike I had ever ridden. way more fun then my R6. ....but the Husky hasn't made it to the track yet :thumbsup:

i have a R1 superbike with everything done to it ,last time i rode it was the support race at the moto GP race in sepang in 04 , i didnt even go in 05 as had a supermoto race . so after 18 months sitting in the workshop without being used its up for sale and a new Aprilia 550 sxv is on the way ,once the its sorted and i run the same for faster lap times as my CRF thats being sold to fund a 450 sxv .

supermoto is so much more fun , not to mention how much cheaper it is to race than the superbike.

you wont miss it :thumbsup: