Sign in to follow this  

Jetting question for touring???

I am planning some touring this winter and was wondering if while going from Michigan to Florida I will have jetting troubles with my fcr carb in the mountains. Any comments suggestions?

Looks like I'll be going as high as (roughly) 4500 feet from a starting point of about 500-600 feet elevation.

you'll be fine-it will be rich and fat at the very top but if you're jetted right for the lower altitudes (not already rich) you will just get poorer mileage and a bit less passing/climbing power. Are you doing this adventure on road or off? It sounds epic! How many miles?

Looks like I'll be going as high as (roughly) 4500 feet from a starting point of about 500-600 feet elevation.

I'd be more concerned with th loss of vibration dampening, way up there in that rarefied air.

you'll be fine-it will be rich and fat at the very top but if you're jetted right for the lower altitudes (not already rich) you will just get poorer mileage and a bit less passing/climbing power. Are you doing this adventure on road or off? It sounds epic! How many miles?

It will be an on road trip. I am not a very strong rider on raod and am less experienced off so I chose the lesser of two evils. I have this winter off so Im not sure how many miles I will be traveling but I am planning on going to Miami beach first to visit a buddy then just figuring it out from there.

I'd be more concerned with th loss of vibration dampening, way up there in that rarefied air.

What does that mean?

What does that mean?

I have no idea either, suspect he is trying to pull your leg.

Road riding is less demanding on fine tuning a carb. Not much requirement to loft wheels over logs on split second's notice on the road. I wouldnt worry about your jetting if it runs well now.Miami beach-that'd be sea level eh?-just kidding :thumbsup:

Hope you have a great ride.

If you ride a lot in mountains and traverse large altitude changes, there are a few mechanisms built for snowmobiles to automatically adjust jetting through up to 10000' of change. Holtzman Vari-flow is manual and suitable for one or more carbs. The Ski-Doo HAC system is automatic but may need specially prepped carbs (it uses a nifty nitogen bladder as a base-line in it's mechanism). They vary the floatbowl pressure, making the carb run leaner as you go up. If the system fails it goes rich, not lean, preventing burn down (a 2stroke phenomenon-no worries with drz)

Ya Im running good right now. Slight pop on decel. All I need is slightly smaller pilot jet.

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to make sure that I would be ok when I hit the higher altitudes. I could even bring a few smaller air jets with me just in case.