Sign in to follow this  

mountain biking...

so i know mountain biking is a good way to train for hare scrambles and any other off road riding. I'm looking at getting one but i know nothing about what brand to get.

so what do you guys think the best bike is for under $500?

YAAA Its good for any type of racing. alot of motocrossers do it, and alot more use it for hare scrambles. GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

Most manufacturers carry models in all price ranges. Whatever you do don't get a bike from Wal Mart. It will break down with any amount of real off road use. They are also heavy and hard to repair or get parts for. Your best bet is to buy a quality bike used for the price range you are looking at. Check your local paper or ebay. When you find a bike go to the manufacturers website and see what the bike sold for new to see if you are getting a good deal. A lot of mountain bike shops rent bikes and then sell them off after a season or two. I got my last bike this way and it has been great. I got a $1500 bike for $800. Whether you get a full suspension or not depends on your location. I would look for an aluminum bike (for low wt), make sure it has Shimano or Sram components so they can be easily replaced if you break something. Remember, Shimano is like GM they make the S10 and the Hummer. All Shimano parts are not the same. There are endless choices with regards to mountain bikes and making a good selection can be confusing. The folks at your local bike store can also be a big help. While they would love to sell you something, they typically aren't like car salesmen. They can help you with component selection and help you find the best bike in your price range if you want to buy something new. They can also help with sizing and proper set up. Good luck with your search and let me know if you have any more questions.

D

for 500 you will be able to get a decent rigid framed bike. You wont be able to get any suspension unless you buy a piece of shit. I would spend around a g. I bought my kona for $1700. ITs fully suspended with good components. Around 1200 will get you a good lightweight bike with suspension

for 500 you will be able to get a decent rigid framed bike. You wont be able to get any suspension unless you buy a piece of shit. I would spend around a g. I bought my kona for $1700. ITs fully suspended with good components. Around 1200 will get you a good lightweight bike with suspension

You can get Specialized Hardrocks for 500. It's a decent model, disc brakes, 100mm suspension fork. I beat the crap outta mine on the street and dirt jumps for a year before getting Stinky. Dad also has one now

Stick with Specialized or Trek for what you need. The big boys can offer more value in that range because they move such volume.

Stick with Specialized or Trek for what you need. The big boys can offer more value in that range because they move such volume.

Absolutely correct :thumbsup:

so i know mountain biking is a good way to train for hare scrambles and any other off road riding. I'm looking at getting one but i know nothing about what brand to get.

so what do you guys think the best bike is for under $500?

Gary Fisher tasahara.....I have rode them all and for my size it was such a clear choice.

Ride them all first but seriously look at the Tasahara!

late

I have a Specialized Hardrock and its great. It was completely rigid before but now there is a set of Rockshox J2's on it. Its a good bike at a relatively low cost. Head down to your local bike shop and talk to the people there. They will help you find the best fit for your price range. good luck!

matt

Go to a bike shop to get your bike & stay away from walmart & other dept stores. A bike shop will send time with you to explain all about the bike & find you the right model & size to fit you.

imo you wont get much of a mtb for 500. especially since you are a motorcycle guy any you will ride the mtb like you ride your harescrambles bike. a cheap bike will literally fall apart, i have seen it happen. :thumbsup: If you are inclined you should buy a frame and all the components and put the bike together yourself, that is probably the cheapest way to a good bike. i ride a gary fisher hookooekoo, steel framed hardtail, sram, mavic wheels, marzocchi fork, tubeless tires, chris king head, etc. mtb cooooooool.

My theory on bikes is:

You can have two of the following

1. Lightweight

2. Strong

3. Cheap

You pick the the ones you want! Buy used, you get way more bang for your buck.....ebay or mtbr.com are both excellent choices.

i also have a hardrock and have to say that it is a pretty good bike for what you are paying for. I bought mine for 350.

If you can opt for something with disc brakes, I have a giant yukon that i got for 500 new, shimano deore derailuors, disc brakes, aluminum frame. I recommend it

Look for a good used bike on eBay man. I have a 2003 sugar 3 gary fisher that I paid 1300 hundred for new and now they are like 500 on eBay used. I love my bike, its the best bike I've ever ridden.