Sign in to follow this  

help!! hard starting te410 when hot

I'm writing on behalf of my buddy who has a 2000 TE410 (stock)...he has a harder than hell of a time starting his bike once he's been riding for a while. It starts up without a problem when the bike is cold, but no such luck when it's hot...warm...bump starting is usually his only option. Any suggestions anybody? :thumbsup: Many thanks! Mark

Hi,

I take it that we are talikng about the left kick enduro bike ,

not the e-start model.

My first point would be to check the valve clearances, and then the carb for flooding (float?)

As when the bike is cold a rich mixture is not a bad thing, but of course when it's hot - it's the LAST thing you need...

The valve clearances on these bikes heads don't have to move much to make a BIG difference to the fuelling, :ride:

when I had the same happen to my left kick 410 I used to kick it over with the throttle full open and the decomp lever in for half a dozen kicks to clear it out (like a flooded/gassed-up 2 stroke!!) it would then fire-up o.k.,

but of course with NO THROTTLE,

on the e-start bikes this is harder as there is no de-comp lever.... thats how I discovered how fussy these heads are to valve clearance set - up..

Hope this helps,

Charlie :thumbsup:

My buddy changed his ignition because of this on his 99 410. It seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks for the input guys......Charlie-it's interesting how 'out of spec' valve clearances on different bikes actually create different results...when my bikes' Intake valves went, I couldn't start it cold, but had no trouble when it was warm. Do the Husky's have exhaust valve problems...or are they like any other 4-stroke with just the typical tightening of the intakes? Are they rocker, or shim/bucket? Do you have the valve specs? ("search" is down)

Shaun.....is there a way to check the ignition box, or can I get the bike warmed up, shut it off, pull the plug wire and see if it sparks to the plug when kicked over? (I'm assuming a new ignition costs over $100)

Could it be caused by low compression? Does anyone know the acceptable compression range for this bike?

Heading over tomorrow night, and hope to try and diagnose the problem before I start buying parts for the thing.

I had a '00 410 and the fuel screw needed to be adjusted as the temps changed- screw in for warmer weather. Check the plug and see what the mixture is like. The valves are screw-adjust- very easy. i think 4-6t hou-intake, 6-8 on the exh.

I would check the carb settings and the valves first. I did have a problem with the magnets coming off the ignition flywheel but it wouldn't start at all.

all, Pete...thanks for the help.

Pete....thought your name was familiar....noticed you helped at WCMC...thanks! Bad race for me, but a great track!! Don't let the wnyoa forum hags bring anyone down at WCMC....I'm sure it was a difficult day for everyone that helped. I'm looking forward to racing there again next year!!!