Sign in to follow this  

ktm fcr to drz s

I have a 04 or 05 fcr from a ktm 525 that i would like to install on my drz400s, by what i read using the search this should be possible with the various changes mentioned. The bell is removable, but there is a tps. should i use the tps or leave it disconnected. And just to make sure i can use this carb with eddys changes correct? thanks!

AH! i thought that might be the case. I can trade this one for one off a yamaha 426. BUT it also has a tps. Can you still use it and leave the tps disconnected? thanks!

tps really makes zero difference.plug it in if so equipped.

41mm on a stock drz motor will sacrifice lowend power.

Eddie knows his stuff but I (being a KTM guy) get to challenge his info on this one!

Some KTM carb notes:

Kehein restyled the carb about 4 years ago, I beleive all the Jap bikes got the new style in 02? KTM did not get it untill 03. Old style has the accelerator pump linkage exposed on the right side of the carb, new style has it under a plastic cover.

If it came from an 00-02 any model (really a 520) its early style and 39mm

If it came from 03 up EXC/MXC/XC its 39mm

If its an SX or SMR from 03-06 then its 41MM it will not have the TPS and the fitting on the side of the air bell where the crankcase vent hose goes on the other models will not be drilled thru

You can tell a 39mm from a 41mm at a glance by looking at the engine side where it plugs into the rubber intake manifold:

On the 41mm the inside bore is concentric or centered in the outside bore.

On the 39MM the inside bore is below center of the outside bore.

If you have a 39 I would say run it! KTM 400 has that carb. One trick you could do is add a Power Now. I presume you can buy one for a FCR on a Suzuki? If so that would be your adaptor for the air inlet AND the power now tricks the air into thinking that the carb is not too big thus your low speed responce should not suffer (as it will if the carb is too big for the engine.)

Also, A KTM carb does not have the "leak jet" that the Jap bikes do (07 250 does have it)

A KTM carb comes with a "D" series needle (3rd didget) I would toss it in favor of an "E" series or go to the JD kit. If you go "E" series plan on a main jet in the 155 to 162 range, "D" series needs to be in the 170's

If its the early carb it will be happy with a 48 pilot, later style likes a 42.

The AC pump is notoriously agressive, if you have a big hickup when you twist plan on restricting the squirt of the AC pump, BK mod, Honda diaphram, what ever

yes 39mm is the prefered FCR.never said it wasnt.

the original poster stated he had a 41mm.all i can do is go by what he says.

the E model drz comes with a 39mm fcr.theres nothing to trick it about.

48 pilot jet is to big for a drz.emn is the correct needle.

Eddie

You must have a private message from him? Or maybe its been edited? as the post I read he did not state the carb size. Its your post that says "thats a 41mm fcr"