Sign in to follow this  

Breaking in a TE610 with syn oil?

I hate for my first post on this board to be an oil thread, and I did search and read the existing oil threads, but I'm just not sure about this. I drained the oil from my TE610 to check torque on the counterbalancer nut, I've got some motorex 10w-60 to put back in it, but I've always heard you don't break a bike in with synthetic oil, as you know the manual calls for this exotic stuff. Did any of you guys break your bikes in with synthetic oil?

Uptite recommended for my SM510R a break-in with full petroleum-based oil - Spectra 20-50W - and then switch to semi-synthetic or full synthetic. I sense that after break-in the emphasis is on changing the oil more often than not, rather than splurging on full synthetic for the sake of it.

Uptite recommended for my SM510R a break-in with full petroleum-based oil - Spectra 20-50W - and then switch to semi-synthetic or full synthetic. I sense that after break-in the emphasis is on changing the oil more often than not, rather than splurging on full synthetic for the sake of it.

That makes sense to me.

No synthetic so far for my 06 TE610 with 1200 miles. I actually used castrol20/50 for the last 200 miles but am now ready to put a spectrol blend in. One very knowlegable dealer told me just break it in easy so the bearings can find their groove. Could using a synthetic prolong the break in period? Corvettes come new with it. PS Was your balancer torqued OK? -Frank

No synthetic so far for my 06 TE610 with 1200 miles. I actually used castrol20/50 for the last 200 miles but am now ready to put a spectrol blend in. One very knowlegable dealer told me just break it in easy so the bearings can find their groove. Could using a synthetic prolong the break in period? Corvettes come new with it. PS Was your balancer torqued OK? -Frank

Yeah, it was torqued OK.

I'm sure this will continue to be debated until the end of time, or the end of lubricants as we know them...

I ran 20 'hard' miles on the break-in oil that came in the bike, then I used cheap Walmart 20w-50 for 500 miles (no friction modifiers, moly), changing it excessively to clean out the sealer gunk and shavings, etc. I subscribe to the break it in hard, like you're going to ride it, philosophy of seating the rings while you can...

Now I'm using what the engineers/manufacture recommend, namely Agip 10w-60 Full synthetic Group IV PAO oil. The engine/tranny just don't require enough oil to skimp on the quality. How much will you spend on gas during that 300-400 miles between oil changes? $50? $15 for < 2 liters of oil and a filter isn't so bad. I think any quality, motorcycle full synthetic of appropriate viscosity will be fine. I'd run Rotella if they made it in 50 or 60 weight...

That said, I don't think there is any reason to NOT use synthetic during break in, except I like to change it every 20-40 miles for the first few hundred and that would get expensive.