Sign in to follow this  

450X Gearing help

I have two 05' 450X's that I just got street legal in CA. Any help on gearing for the 05' X? I would like to change the sprockets to get better top end. Any recomendations on gearing that will not sacrifice to much of the low end gearing?

Riding 450X's to Cabo we run 15-45 (lots of high speed long gravel and sand roads with little scetions of technical stuff).

Typical northern Baja loop rides we run 15-48 (wide variety, gnarly single and fast stuff mix).

Hey, Tim. Is that 15-48 or 14-48? If it's 15-48, what kind of top speed are you getting?

I'm running 14-49. I ran that on a ride in Baja last March with you. I was riding with a KTM rider the other day. We were flat out on a dirt road. I hauled him in and passed him on my X. It surprised me, actually. He had a speedo and said he was doing 85 when I eased past him. In Baja, I had the feeling we were doing pretty close to 90 across those lake beds. I honestly didn't think the X would do anything close to 90 with that gearing. Maybe I was wrong.

Hey, Tim. Is that 15-48 or 14-48? If it's 15-48, what kind of top speed are you getting?
15 - 48

Rarely do we use 14s.

Top speed, I dunno, never tried to figure that one out.

See ya in '07?

I have two 05' 450X's that I just got street legal in CA. Any help on gearing for the 05' X? I would like to change the sprockets to get better top end. Any recomendations on gearing that will not sacrifice to much of the low end gearing?

If you are going to be doing some road riding make sure you put at least one full quart in the tranny. A good friend has an 05x that is street legal. He was riding it on the road recently going about 50 in fifth gear when suddenly the rear wheel locks up. Pulling in the clutch had no effect. It was another 450x transmission seizure of fifth gear. There has been more than a few. Smooth long runs in fifth gear is when it usually happens. Check out some of the recent threads and you will read about the problem and several solutions.

15 - 48

Rarely do we use 14s.

Top speed, I dunno, never tried to figure that one out.

See ya in '07?

Yes, you will.