Sign in to follow this  

Where's the oil coming from?

I noticed a little drop of oil this AM on the garage floor. This afternoon when I got home, I looked at my bike, and there was oil around the head gasket on the right side. The valve cover gasket is dry and not leaking. But I found oil in strange places. There was a drip on the left side bash guard, on the front of the motor, on the outside bolt that holds the pipe on the cylinder head, on the bottom of the left side case, etc. It's not a lot, but certainly enough to cause alarm. I've started it and couldn't find any drips. I've cleaned it all off, and I'll go ride it in a bit and see if I can spot the culprit. The countershaft is dry and tight, and as I said before, it's not the valve cover. The drain bolts are all tight as well. Any idea where it could be coming from?

Do you have any good friends who might be messing with you? :thumbsup:

I saw a motorcycle show where as soon as the tech would walk away from the bike he was working on, another tech would go over and make it look like the bike had a leak. Everyone had a good laugh except the victim.

With friends like that who needs ...

Good luck finding where the leak is.

It looks like the leak is on the valve cover after all, on one of the round parts on the right side. I guess that it was dripping down the cylinder and finding it's way to the other side of the motor. It's not leaking out anywhere else. So, do you guys replace the gasket when checking the valves, or just put Yamabond around those 2 round parts, which is what I did, and that's where it's leaking.

I have a 2000 with the original valve cover gasket/seal. Yamabond each time the cover is replaced and no leaks. :thumbsup:

I don't use any sealer and have no problems. If you do use/need sealer, I recommend a small amount of RTV Ultra Black. Much better than Yamabond.

Never use any sealer either. Is your gasket tweaked?