Sign in to follow this  

Jordan Creek TSF - New Closures

I was out in Jordan Creek TSF this Saturday, and to my suprise, more timber sales have sprung up, and two major trails are now newly closed in the Jordan Creek Unit.

# 36 - Rodgers Road is now closed. :thumbsup:

And my favorite Jordan Creek trail: #38 - Maddogs Pumpkin Patch is now closed. :ride:

It looks like 99% of Diamond mill is still open, but my buddy crashed on Frankenstein, and that ended our afternoon of exploration up in the Diamond Mill Unit.

The trail system is really taking a back seat to the Timber Sales in Jordan Creek. A real loss for this area.

Eric Wager

Quality Analyst

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

www.widmer.com

The top half of Pumpkin Patch is still intact, the rest is now a logging road. I imagine it will all be road soon then when they are done they will throw in a few logs and water bars and declare the trail "back".

Diamond Mill has it's closures too. In addition to what's listed on the TSF website I've found the following trails closed recently. The top 1/4 of BLM has been turned into a logging road, and I couldn't pickup the trail. South Tower has been chopped up by three logging roads and can't be found. East Tower and Mongo Canyon are both marked closed.

It sure seems like our great trails are being replaced with gravel roads. Before long, all of TSF will just be a serious of gravel roads... like it isn't that way already. What happened to mulitple use?

Sometimes I wonder how much money logging in TSF brings into the state vs. recreation. I wonder if it's as lopsided as the state makes it appear based on how it bends over for the logging companies.

Its pretty simple, they could do away with the OHV system there and not have to worry about anything. We should be luck that the state has a nice place for us to spend time in the woods. I think its pretty easy, if you don't like it, go else where. Logging in that area has been around well before it was a state forest and even an OHV area. No one really seems to bitch about all the nice trail systems that were on private land surrounding that area that are now closed. 50 years ago, the forest was nothing, now the trees have grown that were planted after the burn and there really hasn't been any logging up until this point. This is why it seems like the logging is taking priority over evertything else, becausre up until now there really wasnt much of it. Plus by adding all these new logging roads, it making better access for fire crew, incase there were to be another Tillamook burn. I know the last 7 years when I worked for the Forest Grove ODF office as a firefighter/forest officer were were extremely lucky with not having any real major fires in the TSF, but we did have some fires, but they were easily accessable due to the road systems in the area.

The one thing that boggles my mind is how people can bitch about a riding area. They should be thankful they have a place they can ride at for free year round. They should be thankful that ODF has a waiver to keep the TSF open for riding in the summer time during fire season, and don't close it down in the winter due to weather conditions.

That really sucks. Pumpkin was a great trail. Very technical and a very good time. What a bummer.

The one thing that boggles my mind is how people can bitch about a riding area. They should be thankful they have a place they can ride at for free year round.

Having lived in Southern California growing up and riding dirt bikes too, the closest place I could ride trails was 60 miles of congested freeway from my house. It is called Hungry Valley Recreation Area (aka Gorman\Frazier Park). It is no bigger than TSF...in fact, I would bet it is smaller. Think about this: over 8 million people live in the greater Los Angeles area (Less than 4 in ALL of Oregon). If the same percentage of the 8 million LA people ride as, say around 250K that live in all the areas surrounding Portland, we're talking about a huge number of riders and Hungry Valley, on any weekend, is...crowded.

I now drive 30 miles to ride. Most days, I don't even meet another rider on a trail. Yesterday, just before sunset, I did hear a thumper and could see its dust on a ridge about 5 miles away. Last Saturday, there were 10 cars in the staging area (including our 5), yet we never passed another bike or quad on the trails.

What TDC said in his first line: We are lucky. To really "know" it, you need to look at what others have. It's not fair...but at least we are on the 'long end of the stick'.