Sign in to follow this  

Highspeed Wobble

Newbie Here,just Purchased My First Drz400sm Last Week,and Above 75 Mph On The Highway,the Bike Seems To Wobble Now And Then,not Really Head Shake But More Of A Wobble,if I Tighten My Legs To The Gas Tank It Comes Out Of It,im Thinking I Need A Steering Damper? If So Will A Scotts Damper Work With My Tag 2 Bars And Risers?also My Daily Ride Is 8 Miles Of Dirt,20 Miles Of In Town And A 1/2 Hour On The Highway And Like Alot Of People Would Like To Get The Revs Down On The Highway So When Im Cruising At 75-80 Im Not Winding Out The Motor,i Beleive I Need A 38 Tooth Rear Sprocket,is That Correct?any Info Or Comments Would Help Thanks Alot Newbie

I found going from the big mirrors to Dual Stars helped out immensely with that annoying wobble. I have not seen anything on mine that would cause me to buy a steering dampener. I used the money for an FCR.

You will probably be really disappointed with the performance if you gear up to keep revs down. At 75 -80 you are not winding out the motor. The stock bikes wont even hit the limiter in 5th unless you have a good hill. I would just ride and not worry about it.

The first thing to do is to balance both tires. This is even more critical if single rimlocks are used. Check steering head bearings.....they should be snug but not tight. Stability and headshake can be reduced by lowering the fork tubes in the triple clamps until the forks are even with the tops of the triple clamps, and increasing the sag at the rear by lowering the shock spring preload.

The DRZ has an inherent high-speed wobble that cannot be removed completely by any mechanical adjustment, rebalance or modification. You can induce a brief wobble at any time on any DRZ just by giving a shake to the handlebars at high speed.

Typically, a wobble is induced by the road or a wind gust and aggrevated by a tight grip on the handlebars. You can prevent or stop a wobble by leaning forward and pressing forward slightly on the handlebars. If you pull back on the handlebars or try to fight the wobble with steering it gets worse. (Unfortunately, the first reaction to an unexpected wobble is to grab the handlebars with a death grip -- which makes it worse.)

IMHO you should first learn how to stop the wobble using your body position and forward pressure, (because it is a valuable skill), before you invest in a steering damper (which may or may not reduce the wobble incidence). :thumbsup:

P.S. If the wobble occurs all the time at speed it isn't a wobble -- it is a shake, which is caused by something mechanical out of balance or out of adjustment.

The DRZ has an inherent high-speed wobble that cannot be removed completely by any mechanical adjustment, rebalance or modification.

Mine came from the factory wobble free.

To the poster, not speaking about the DRZ specifically but some motorcycles I have owned are sometimes sensitive to particular brands/types of tires, changes in dress, riding position, and/or a multitude of seemingly insignificant things.

I have a DRZ400S that for whatever reason tracks straight and true down the road at any speed. Others do not share this experience. If I am wearing either off road coat that I own it will get blown around more and if wind conditions are correct will wander around in the lane. Normally I ride in a ballistic jersey (evs one) and the bike is solid as a rock and blown around alot less by trucks. Interpolate what you will from that.

In your situation I would most certainly eliminate the inexpensive things before you shell out for a dampener.

I get wobbles down the highway. They start around 75 with me. The best thing like they said is to move forward. I got my bike doing almost 100 with Little wobble. I'm so use to it now it doesn't even bother me anymore. Just keep on the gas and lean forward and press forward on the bars. Someday I will fix the problem.

Yeah, head over the triple clamps , elbows up , knees in the tank and almost no wobble or spend for the stabilizer .

my 06 S gets wobbly @ 75 too, especially when I am staying at that speed. it doesn't feel like the kind of head shake that a stabilizer would eliminate. sitting forward on the seat gets rid of it though.

I get wobbles down the highway. They start around 75 with me. The best thing like they said is to move forward. I got my bike doing almost 100 with Little wobble. I'm so use to it now it doesn't even bother me anymore. Just keep on the gas and lean forward and press forward on the bars. Someday I will fix the problem.

That is weird because I was cursed with the wobble at around 70 but I sit back farther in the sattle and the bike is smooth.

:thumbsup:

That is weird because I was cursed with the wobble at around 70 but I sit back farther in the sattle and the bike is smooth.

:thumbsup:

That's a bummer, I ride mine at 70 all the time. the engine purrs at that speed.

I only get the wobble at 70+ on sand now...None on the road...The WER stabilizer help immensely...Once above 70+ on sand the wobble will begin but at that point it's a matter of balancing your body (position of your butt on the seat) which will reduce the wobble and keep everything AOK.

thanks alot guys,great advice,i will try getting up closer to the tank and if that doesn't help then ill double check everything and go from there.i know,im not really beating the bike at 75 on the highway,but i would still like it to rev less,was i right on needing a 38 tooth sprocket or would i be better off with a 41 tooth sprocket,from what i have read on here,it doesnt hurt the lower end power to much?thanks again

when I changed my TWs to maxxis 6006s I got 'more" of the 70mph but not enough to cause a concern unless I was just starting to ride

My 05 does the same thing at 70+ For me, the key is lightening the grip on the bars and dont sweat it. It's not dangerous. The problem -- IMHO -- is that the bike is so damn light that the wind creates the wobble. A big fat pig of a bike isn't affected by the wind at all.

I think the mirrors might make it work so I got Dual Stars. Only thing is that i have to paint them black b/c the are dark grey in color.

One thing though. If you drop the back end it lessens the wobble but makes it corners like a pig. I found the best handling came from about 70mm sag in the back. Any more than that it felt like the front was pushing pretty bad. But that could just be my body positioning too.