Sign in to follow this  

Who rides 2-stokes, 4-strokes, in the mountains? The good, bad and ugly and why???

I got a 450f and like it. However, I've always been a smoker at heart. I like the lightness and the easy maintenance. So... I'm thinking of going back and am looking a various 250 smokers. The reason I posted this here is that terrain varies around the country and this area is particularly rocky with huge elevation changes which make it more unique to itself.

What make do you all like and why? And, their strengths and weaknesses.

Overheating???

Thanks

Jon

I like my 450F. But if could get whatever I wanted this is what it would be:

http://www.ktmusa.com/188.20.html?detailview=1&cHash=3ecc6f5f80

I like the torque and power of the 450. But in tight woods and technical rocky uphills I think 2 strokes rule. I have spent all my life on 2's and this is my first 4. It feels bulky and less maneuverable then the 2's.

I love my 2 smoke. I love it so much that I haven't even cared to upgrade, I ride a 96' ATK. I mostly ride single track (try to anyway, that's what I love) and most of that riding is up in the mountains at higher elevations and I've never had a problem what-so-ever, knock on wood! Many times when I've gone with the thumpers they've stalled out on the steep rocky and rooty sections and I've not had a problem and most of the time they are better riders than I! :thumbsup:

I could never get myself to get a thumper, even though all my buddies slowly converted over time. Ironically, they are all back on 2-strokes except for one, and we all love them. My first bike was an RM, 2nd, KX, 3rd, YZ, 4th YZ. I just bought a new 05 yz250 last week, and it is the BEST in the mountains. Best mod would have to be a gnarly pipe. Skid plate and bark busters are also a must. an 8oz flywheel weight smooths the power, but I find my 05 yz, jetted correctly has loads of bottom end with the gnarly on it. I also have a EFM auto clutch that was on my 03 yz, it is a fun mod if you have the $$, but not necessary at all. I will probably end up putting it on my 05 as it does add to the riding experience and I do like it in the really nasty stuff!! Hope that enough to convince you the 2-strokes are where it's at in the woods, especially if you like riding hard and fast.

Just to note...I do like the thumpers and if I could have even 2 bikes I would love to have a thumper, they do have their benefits. I feel that for more casual riding thumpers are better (not that you can't do fast on them, I just don't think it's as easy or fun), but I really like to ride fast and "jib" around on my bike, which is harder on the heavier "feeling" thumpers. I've put lots of time on 2 and 4 strokes, and could never get myself to go thumping...maybe someday...but not now!!

I'll probably get some flames for this post...but just remember, THIS IS MY OPINION!!! You are also entitled to yours.

Here's my new mountain bike right before it's first ride, zero miles. I still need to put the barkbusters and skidplate on, but I"m waiting for my triples to come and new mounts for the skid plate.

05yz250web.jpg

I just do not get the smile factor on thumpers that I do on two strokes. Especially little ones. I like my 200, but I finagle a ride on my friends' 125s every chance I get.

My KTM is light, easy to start, nimble and comfortable with plenty of torque for hill climbing and trails. I wouldn't really want to trade it in ... though it does need some company in the garage in the form of a 125, one of these days. They're just too much fun to ride!

I ride a CRF450 and a WR450. I race enduros and MX. There is no better MX bike than the CRF450, IMHO. On a lot of the trails in Colorado I love my 4 strokes. The trails are well established and wide with sweeping turns. In enduros you get into a lot of tighter stuff that the CRF is heavy and slower in the short straights. I have raced the 4 strokes for the last 3 years and I'm going back to a 2 stroke for enduros next year. I'll be keeping my CRF for MX though.

i love my cr250 for woods, it's the best bike for me imo for the woods. the thumpers are great for tracks though. when i'm goin to the track, I'll ride my dad's wr250f just because i like thumpers more for mx.. but for off-road and woods riding, i'd take a 2-smoke any day

I ride a 04 yz250 in the woods, love the weight and I think that is the only reason that I have not jumped ship yet.

So, how is the power, ie. lowend on these smokers? I am partial to the yz250s. Heard a lot of good about the motors in the 98 and newer. As well as the KTMs, but don't have that kind of money to spend. Don't know much about the other two brands.

How are they?

No one in support of the thumpers???

I ride an XR250 (+30) and my son rides a KDX200 with common bolt on mods. It's tit for tat. There have only been a couple of climbs where he has faltered, which have been more than made up for by me kicking myself *absolutely* blue, in seemingly dumb places, after a tip-over. I'm sure he is having to concentrate more on torque and spin more than I do. His startability is always better, no matter what happens. His fun factor is probably better too--although thumpin' has its merits. It's the smoke damnit--except that a properly tuned smoker with synth oil is pretty darned clean. Jeez his bike is like 220lbs too...

Did I make it clear which is better? LOL

Someone talk me out of buying a smoker...:thumbsup:

I got an old 85 yz250, but it isn't quite like the newer ones. Motor is actually very good with as broad of a power curve as any, but the frame geometry is lacking.

The 4 has way more torque and low end. But in tight rocky sections is easier to kill. The 2 is easier to keep running in low RPM situations. The 4 will have tendencies to come over on you way easier. It takes some practice to ride the 4 well. The riding technique is very different for either bikes. The 2 is easier to ride IMHO.

3 years on 4 strokes and I'm back to pingers for the woods, light and low maintenance

I have an 04 CR250R and love it for every type of riding. I race desert on it and just got into some enduros since I have moved up to Denver. It is light turns beautifully and tracts anywhere. I have to admit though that I am buying a 450 real soon bc they are such an advantage in mx and I am a lot faster on them in WORCS races. Just get one of each!!

Yeh, I've done some pretty technical stuff on the 450. Feathering the clutch is key. But, they get hot when doing long slow technical climbs. If I keep it, it will get a flywheel weight and eventually a wr trans gear set. But right now I can't justify splitting the cases.

As far as the track goes, the 4-strokes are so much easier to be fast on. They are much more forgiving and make clearing jumps with short run-ups much easier. But the woods is where it is at for me.

How well does the CR250 go slow?

Smoke em while you can. 2010 appears to be the end of most smokes.

I'll go in for the thumper.

'01 KTM 400 converted to a 453.

I think it's all what you started on, many guys/gals started on one or the other and have a hard time switching. Me, I just like the thumper better.

BUT if I were to get a smoker...a KTM 300 would be the best of both worlds.

One plus for the thumper...you can do LOOOOOG rides and just fill up at the pump.

Someone talk me out of buying a smoker...

Come and ride my 06 YZ 450 F, I wont have to talk. With the Rekluse and a few other mods it is the ultimate mountian bike. With the Rekluse you can use all the torque and tractorability to your advantage, and still rip the top end when you get the chance. Personally, I have no use for a smoker. I am a big guy, 270lbs, and not a great rider. The 4 strokes seem made for me. Plus, you can siphon gas right out of a jeep if you run low on fuel, like I did earlier this summer. (with the jeep owners blessing). Everyone talks about maintainence costs and the like. Quite frankly, I dont see it. I keep up on my oil changes and keep my filter clean, thats it. With a Scotts reusable oil filter and the Rotella oil I buy in bulk, it costs me about 2 bucks per oil change. :thumbsup: Big Deal. I have not had ANY mechanical issues at all. NONE. I had over 4000 miles on my WR when I traded to my YZ, not one single mechanical issue. 4 strokes dont like constant top end revs. Mountain riding doesnt require the high revs like true MX racing will. I know guys that have gotten 8000 miles or more out of a 4 stroke in the mountains. With a good coolant, overheating hasnt been an issue for me. I have boiled it before, but not much. Its all about what you like. For me, I like my thumper. You wont ever see me with a smoker. :ride:

If 2 stroke I like the KTM 300EXC (or XC-W for the later models). Lots of good advice so far. I like to ride single track and I can hear a thumper for miles it seems, the pinger sound fades with distance much more rapidly.

One thing that hasn't been brought up - the pingers are more sensitive to jetting upon changing altitute - so you need to educate yourself there. I usually jet for just slightly lean for the starting altitude (provided you're climing) and I'm good for 4-5K feet, after that it runs too fat in the needle jet range.

pingers are light - and therein lies the attractiveness for me.

Get one of both