Sign in to follow this  

Advice needed on the DR650 I just picked up...

Looked at a DR650 a month ago with only 1900 miles and a second set of whells/off road tires. The kid bought it on a Suzuki revolving credit (card) loan and it took him damn near a month to get the title. The bike was slightly dirty (looks like he rode it up and down the dirt road a few times) and had a little mud spray on the inside of the fenders. No big deal or so I figure.

Anyhoo, I picked the bike up last week and didn't get a chance to wash it until today. I find this...

case.jpg

It appears as if he punched a hole in the case. This kinda looks like JB Weld but I can't be sure.

What's the concensus? Do I call the kid back and ask for my money back? Do I take him to small claims court? Get a skid plate and forget about it? How serious is this?

TIA,

Mike O.

"What's the concensus? Do I call the kid back and ask for my money back? Do I take him to small claims court? Get a skid plate and forget about it? How serious is this?"

Do the first, then the second, not the third, and it's quite serious.

I'd get your money back ! no telling how long it was rode with no oil !

My 2 cents

That's ugly, I feel that pain.

Ditto-ing heykenny.

Looks like a very serious defect for which disclosure should have been made. I think that it's a problem well beyond "buyer beware." Line up your legal path, and politely let the seller know what you have in store should he not kindly take it back and return your cash (mechanic's estimate in hand, costs for getting mechanic's estimate, full repairs, legal fees, etc). May not be a bad idea to chat with a lawyer. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV. Do your research on you state's small claims process, $ limits, etc.

Geez... that is a crappy situation to be in. From the looks of it, he cased that sucker a while ago. No disclosure of anything like this from seller at all? What do you have to back up the sale? Bill of sale? Any "as is" wording on it? Man, that just sucks. I'd give the kid one chance to do good on this and one chance only. I'd find out your legal options before offering him the chance. If he doesn't want to deal then tell him your lawyer will be calling.

...and here's his story. He went to VT with it the second weekend he owned it. He tried to go over a big rock and obviously didn't make it. He rode it for the the rest of the day and when he came out the next morning there was a 6" puddle on the floor. He says there was still oil in the window even though he had to tilt it over to the right a bit to see it.

Bottom line is that he claims there is only a hairline crack in it and that he and his dad used Devcon to fix it. It hasn't leaked since.

I told him that I was going to send it to the dealer and have them grind it down and if it's anything more than a crack I want to be compensated for it. He was completely fine with my proposition and I think I'll take it down tomorrow to have them officially diagnose it. For hahas I did take a dremel to it and that $hit is harder than the aluminum.

So, if I keep it what is the best guard to get?

Mike O.

I would do some research into a used motor, with a good case for an affordable price, then try and get the kid to give you some of the cash back to buy it. That could let go any time any where and You'll be the one left holding the bag. Maybe at worst split the cost of a used partial motor, so you have something to fall back on.

I would be bummed out

,but If it was me I would grind it down clean it up ride the crap out of it and if there was no leak I might keep it.It may depend where the puncture was If its right between the two pieces thats worse in my opinion than off to the side a little.At least the young man fessed up and is willing to work it out like a gentleman.I dont think there are many dr 650's for sale right now and I have been very impressed with the different repair epoxies on the market of late. Good luck!

ride the crap out of it and if there was no leak I might keep it.

Yep,,,, Me 2,,, Don't plan on doing any rebuilds with those cases but,,,,

If it don't leak,, and looks like it won't start to.......

Get a bash plate and ride the crap out of it !

Them DR's are tuff as hell,,, it'll take it !

Yea I guess if he didn't run it out of oil. And there is really just a hair line crack. It would be ok. Hopefully the crack is off to the side and not in the seam. If so maybe it could be welded?

Back in the 70's I had a IT 250. The chain flew off when i was climbing a gravel pile. It busted a chunk off the case where the clutch arm shaft went in. I used liquid steel and never had anymore problem. I was always afraid a rock or something would hit it though.

I'd get my money back. He knew it had a cracked case and failed to disclose it. Sounds like he misrepresented the condition of the bike. I'd give him one chance to buy the bike back, then take him to court.

jrs200 jogged something loose in my less then efficiate memory.

years ago my buddy was riding his Banshee when he hit a rock and cracked the case. There was a hole about the size of a quarter in the crankcase.

So we pulled the motor, steam cleaned the sucker and took it over to a guy that welds aluminum. He did an amazing job building it up one weld at a time until it was completely sealed, then a little grindage and the case has been perfect ever since.

Try finding someone who welds aluminum, and if it's a hair line crack, they should be able to fill it no problem.

Run as fast as you can and ask for money back but it sounds like he has given your cash to Suzuki?

The frame looks heavily dented in the photo also. Who knows if it was run without oil? The kid is a real jerk.

As to suing and lawyers, you don't have the recourse you would buying from a dealer. Lots of factors here. Did he verbally or in writing represent the bike in a certain condition? What judge will you be assigned? etc.

I would be really mad. If you live in a small town or in the country, you might want to talk to the county attorney, it may cross the line into criminal fraud or he may be willing to scare the kid with a phone call.

...and I beat the living snot out of it. Bike runs absolutely perfect. No sounds out of the ordinary. Oil temps were about 265-280 (it's over 100 degrees outside) measured by an IR thermometer so I am happy with that.

I've decided to send it to the dealer and if they give it a stamp of approval I'll keep it and put a good guard on it.

Mike O.

...big puddle of oil under the bike tonight.

New cases are $688. Any idea on what the labor would be to rebuild it?

Mike O.

...big puddle of oil under the bike tonight.

New cases are $688. Any idea on what the labor would be to rebuild it?

Mike O.

Do you think the kid would give you your money back? Sounds like he paid the card off. He should of been honest wit you. Now you really don't know wheather to believe anything he says. Like not running the bike out of oil. Maybe try a compression test.

Did you ever get the puddy off so you could get a look at the damage? I am sort of betting it is at the seam. And that would suck. Don't know if I weld that.

If you have the dealer to replace the cases, it would probably just cost you a left nut and your 1st born, maybe an arm and a leg to.

What kind of deal did you get? Maybe if it turns out not as bad as expected you could at least get the kid to give you some money back.

That is a sucky situation, hate to hear that happen to anyone.

The kid agreed to pay for half the repair. I'm awaiting a quote from a local Suzuki dealer and I'm going to a local indy shop that has a good reputation.

We'll see.

Mike O.

Save yourself some cash and bring the bike home, get a manual and tear the engine out yourself, drain the oil and pull the magneto and clutch covers, intake, carb etc. and deliver the engine ready for the rebuild at the shop, then you will learn some stuff about your bike and save yourself a couple of hundred bucks in labor that you can use to but a jet kit and exhaust. Trust me it's not as hard as you would think. And if you have the time to do this, you'll find it extremely gratifying to bond with your new friend.

Metal love, man. Get it. Massage that battered horse and he'll give lotsa love in return.

This bike has been abused, big time. I'd get my money back and look for a decent one. It's been cased hard more than a few times. Besides the cracked cases, the frame is flattened in several places and the cross brace behind the left foot peg is dented and pushed up along with the left frame rail which means the whole frame if probably tweaked. Look at the rear mounting points for the skid plate, they are pointing in different directions. The right foot peg is either mounted wrong or really messed up. If the fork seals aren't leaking, they soon will be. All this in 1900 miles? What sort of break-in do you suppose the kid gave it? You got two sets of wheels in the deal? Which ones are flat-sided? Yeah, you could rebuild the motor. You also probably need a new frame, new fork seals, I'd be surprised if the steering head races aren't dented. You don't jump a 325 lb. bike gently. Unless you got this bike really cheap, say for a thousand bucks, I'd run away fast.