Sign in to follow this  

14-53 Sprocket Combo Chain guide help!!

I am trying to get he 53 tooth rear sprocket to work but the chain guide just looks so much higher than the bottom of the sprocket and also isn't allowing me to move my wheel up forward like I want it. does anybody know any mods you could do to the existing chain guide to make it work better or of any after market chain guides that accept a bigger sprocket?

Thanks!

i dropped mine down about 3/4 "

by welding on extra aluminum to the top of each side

i then drilled new bolt holes, which i moved back about 1/2"

this moved the chain guide forward 1/2"

but now my chain guide took 5 bolts

because the originals have to hold the plastic in place in the orig holes

and new bolts to hold the guide to the swingarm

this worked great but i put it all back to stock because i hit it on rocks alot

and didnt want to have a failure because of it

but i could put my rear wheel any position i wanted and it took the hard angle

out of the chain to the 53 tooth

would like the pic also i have 05 and run 14/53 and i run it with no mods it does not run as smooth as my 03 but works fine would love to see how to make it run smoother thanks

Redbeard, Baron von Beard Are you ok? How bout them picts? Nice Yellow bike I love the look.

I am trying to get he 53 tooth rear sprocket to work but the chain guide just looks so much higher than the bottom of the sprocket and also isn't allowing me to move my wheel up forward like I want it. does anybody know any mods you could do to the existing chain guide to make it work better or of any after market chain guides that accept a bigger sprocket?

Thanks!

If you aren't able to make this fly, you can get an almost identical ratio with a 13T front, 49T rear.

If my calculations are correct...oh, Gawwwdddd...

14/53=3.79

13/49=3.77

????

If you aren't able to make this fly, you can get an almost identical ratio with a 13T front, 49T rear.

If my calculations are correct...oh, Gawwwdddd...

14/53=3.79

13/49=3.77

????

probably wont reply, this thread was posted on 7-31

probably wont reply, this thread was posted on 7-31

I'll have to agree with you...

But, if the numbers I crunched are right, maybe it'll save someone else a lot of time and effort...

I can't remember what they are, but I reading about some other benefits to running the 14t front? I know that slower chain wear was one of them.

supposed to make a naturally more responsive rear suspension also...not sure how exactly...

1. Better suspension in rear due to not as much tension on the shock

2. Better chain life

3. Makes the chain slapping on the swing arm non-existant

4. Bike does not stall in corners in 3rd gear!

5. Always in stock when you need to replace (until everyone figures out how good this combo is)

I love it and will never run anything else.

supposed to make a naturally more responsive rear suspension also...not sure how exactly...

It raises the chain up off the swing arm pivot and takes some leverage of the engine out of the suspension allowing it to be more responsive.

It will also slow sprocket wear a little because you spreading the power load over more teeth...:many hands makes light work" theroy...Ive seen this first hand.

Most of the factory guys run 14/xx combos. Kevin Windham runs a 14/52 or 53.

Better angle over the swingarm maybe. And/or a smoother arc over the countershaft. MXA claims this is a good thing to do on a crf450.

Hmmm....interesting info....I'll admit, I was relieved to see that the news came from MXA and not DirtRider. I would'a been severely bummed to think there was anything in DR that I'd missed.

Is this info primarily directed at the 450? I've only had mine since late May and still have (albeit not for much longer) the stock chain/sprocket setup. However, I've been running 13/51 on my CR250 for years...always got good life out of the DID O-Ring, but I stay on top of it, too. Anyone know of any ways this may relate to that bike, as well???

(I can feel my brain growing again!!!)