Sign in to follow this  

Proud new owner of a SM!!!

Hi all,

Just took delivery today of a never titled 2005 DRZ400SM! I can tell i'm going to really enjoy this bike! A couple things though...I noticed on the ride home a lot of buzzing in the bars at highway speeds, anyway to reduce this?

Also a noticable bog when in high gear cruising and then accelerate. I assume its a lean condition and a jet kit will take care of this.

What were some of your first mods to this bike and which ones were most beneficial?

I was told by the dealer first service is at 600 miles and will cost 206.00 not including oil or parts. What do they do and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your imput. Is anyone in the Central Ohio area that would like to get together for a ride sometime?

Get a manual and do your own service work. Who knows what they will do but they should do an oil change with filter, clean the frame screen, check the valves, lube the steering head bearings since suzuki doesn't, lube the rear suspension for the same reason, check to make sure fasteners are still tight. They should do these and some other things like red locktite the p-nut and ccs but in most cases they change the oil, check the valves and go over the obvious fasteners.

Do the 3x3, rejet right away.

They should do these and some other things like red locktite the p-nut and ccs but in most cases they change the oil, check the valves and go over the obvious fasteners.

Do the 3x3, rejet right away.

You really think they will do the valve check :ride:

10guy, you have a lot more faith in your local stealer than I do, a lot more.

In my experience they will change the oil, but not the filter, they will not check the oil strainer in the frame.

They will also oil anything visible, and wipe it over with am (oily) rag.

Then they will charge the maximum they can get away with, and tell you they have done a lot more than they really have.

And for that you get a hefty bill, and piece of mind (unless you are as cynical as me)

Neil.

:thumbsup::cry::ride:

You really think they will do the valve check :ride:

10guy, you have a lot more faith in your local stealer than I do, a lot more.

In my experience they will change the oil, but not the filter, they will not check the oil strainer in the frame.

They will also oil anything visible, and wipe it over with am (oily) rag.

Then they will charge the maximum they can get away with, and tell you they have done a lot more than they really have.

And for that you get a hefty bill, and piece of mind (unless you are as cynical as me)

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::crazy:

Like I've said many times, no one touches my bikes but me. I would like to think that they would but in all honesty I doubt it. Then again the manual probably doesn't call for it either :cry: And I hate to admit but I don't have a dealer anywhere that I prefer, in fact the best I'm indifferent about. Most are just pathetic.....

That is one thing I will say for kawasaki, if you have an issue with one of their dealers and can't come to an agreement then kawasaki will hear your side and if they feel it is legit they will contact the dealer on your behalf. Only takes a few minutes to get a call from the manager at the dealership after that :ride:

10guy, when I buy a brand new bike it goes in for the first service, as all you pay for over here is the oil and filter.

But it will already have had an oil and filter change, probably several, and all the other checks will have been done as well.

And you know what, no dealer has ever mentioned that it had already been done.

The only thing I pay for is tyre fitting, and only then if it is convenient, otherwise I do it myself.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

There is nothing on the first service you cannot do yourself - except stamp the warranty book.

That recently cost me about $180AU.

They threw in an oil/filter change and vlave check as well.

There is a school of thought that says warranty claims will still be honoured as long as the work did not contribute to the failure, you used genuine parts and you have receipts for oil, etc.

I am too chicken to test it out.

Cheers

There is a school of thought that says warranty claims will still be honoured as long as the work did not contribute to the failure, you used genuine parts and you have receipts for oil, etc.

I am too chicken to test it out.

Cheers

It a fact, not a school of thought. The following was copied from the Kawasaki web site FAQ 15 seconds ago:

"Am I required to take my Kawasaki vehicle to an authorized Kawasaki dealer for service and maintenance work?

No, but we request that you keep written records and receipts showing that the service and maintenance work has been performed according to the schedule of maintenance in your Owner's Manual."

I have to say that when it comes to warranty issues/service/dealer interaction, my experience with Kawasaki has been head and shoulders above what I have experienced with other brands.

It a fact, not a school of thought. The following was copied from the Kawasaki web site FAQ 15 seconds ago:

"Am I required to take my Kawasaki vehicle to an authorized Kawasaki dealer for service and maintenance work?

No, but we request that you keep written records and receipts showing that the service and maintenance work has been performed according to the schedule of maintenance in your Owner's Manual."

I have to say that when it comes to warranty issues/service/dealer interaction, my experience with Kawasaki has been head and shoulders above what I have experienced with other brands.

In the US perhaps. You guys have things like a bill of rights and lemon laws.

Any Australians out there have first hand experience ?

Cheers

The company will also go to bat for you against one of their dealers if you have a legit complaint. I've had to do that once.