Sign in to follow this  

Silencer (muffler) packing

Guys, I removed the end (cork) baffle from my silencer (muffler) on the weekend and the results were:

Positive:

1) Improved idle and throttle response (easily noticible)

2) Improved starting (easily noticible)

3) Improved sound (sounds more like a thumper now)

4) Improved power from mid - upper RPM (mildly noticible)

Negative:

1) Much louder (read too loud - at least for public use)

2) Perhaps a mild drop in low end torque (barely noticable)

A question. Has anyone experimented with packing the silencer with an aftermarket product? Brand? Cost? Results?

I would like to keep the positive characteristics described above by keeping the bike breathing, but reduce the bark (noise) to an acceptable level. :thumbsup:

Cut the baffle and put it back in-best of both worlds-reasonable sound and modest performance improvement(with jetting of course). Do a search I posted pics a few months ago.

Cut the baffle and put it back in-best of both worlds-reasonable sound and modest performance improvement(with jetting of course). Do a search I posted pics a few months ago.

Yeah I hear ya Krannie - I guess that's what I was planning to do anyway. Might try the packing and test the results one day also.

Is there a jetting set-up that you can recommend that is "middle of the range" that will suit for running with baffle in one day and out the next (to save having to change all the time)?

Well, I've done all 4 (stock pipe) options now.

1) Baffle in (uncut) - runs well, sounds crap

2) Baffle in (cut) - runs better, sounds better

3) Baffle out - runs very well, sounds like a racer, too loud

4) Baffle out with muffler packing - too much fooling around for little gain in sound / noise / performance.

Conclusion: Baffle cut short and left in is best overall option. Reasonable sound, low noise level, minor performance gain. Guess I better start saving for a Pro Circuit unit if I want it to sound like a real thumper too.