New to crf 450 - mechanical engine noise concern

Just switched from 426F to '05 CRF 450. Big diff for sure :thumbsup: , but where the Yammie was mechanically smooth and there was very little engine noise, the Honda is smooth with a lot of mechanical noise. Bought from guy I've known for 30 years, I trust, and it's only got about 12 hours. Bike is not beat and as nice as they come. It's not quiet as loud as a Cannondale but close only when cold. Yes, it sounds like valves, and I'm checking them this weekend, but is this just a noisy engine design? Noises quell but do not disappear when warm. Bike has fresh Hondalube GN4 oil. I turned idle up to get more oil up top w/o a change. Being new to the Honda, I could use some useful opinions on what to look for besides valves or is this just a characteristic of the engine? My only exposure to this engine to date is with the ATV version and they seem loud too, but the ATVs were beaters. Thanks !

CRF engines are loud. It's normal. If you hear a pinging sound, 99% of the time it's a loose chain. It slaps the swingarm and many people mistake it for engine noise.

Even if the chain is adjusted properly, you will still have some chain slap. Other than that, even with the engine idling you will hear some clanking.

CRF engines are loud. It's normal. If you hear a pinging sound, 99% of the time it's a loose chain. It slaps the swingarm and many people mistake it for engine noise.

Even if the chain is adjusted properly, you will still have some chain slap. Other than that, even with the engine idling you will hear some clanking.

Ditto. The first time I fired my 03 up, I was sure that there was something wrong...

You think it's loud now? Try adding a full skid plate...that's some noise!

• Like 1

Yeah, mine sounds like a helicopter when idling, and whistles (crankcase breather) when accelerating, and chain-slap makes it sound like it's gonna blow when wrapped out... It's all normal though!

Yeah, mine sounds like a helicopter when idling, and whistles (crankcase breather) when accelerating, and chain-slap makes it sound like it's gonna blow when wrapped out... It's all normal though!

pretty good description,if you put on a glide plate it will amplifie the noises. power makes noise :thumbsup:

Keep the comments coming, and thanks, I'm feeling better about the noise already. It DOES have a aftermarket skidplate (you guys are saying this amplifies it, but it also has foam between the cases and the plate so I don't know how much sound actually makes it out from under the engine), and it DOES whistle like it has a turbo (breather).

yes, --these guys are all correct,---the honda sounds like its getting ready to sling a rod out of the thing a rip the cases in half, :ride:

and if you adj the valves the way the book tells you to .006 intake and .012 exhaust -----the thing will make even more rocks in a concrete mixer clicking rattling sound :ride:

i run these at .003 or .004 intake, and .005 .007 exhaust max ,

and this takes all the top end noise out :thumbsup:

and it is way easier on the valve train :cry:

but yes for the most part if you put a plate on the thing you wont even ride the dam thing.

i get at least one guy a month that just has to run his bike over and let me listen to it because he is sure it is blowing up :ride:

• Like 2

(LOL) :thumbsup::ride::cry:

The Angry Red Tractor is one noisy mtoherfkucer.

But you can feel good when its making all that racket, that means its running.

Why is it that the skid plate would make it louder? I'm thinkin of buying a 2002 crf 450r and it has a skid plate on it. should i still go for it or will it cause a problem?

Nate 05 TT-r 230 :ride: selling and upping to a crf450r :thumbsup:

I always wondered what made that whistling sound. It drove me nuts until I just tuned it out. :thumbsup: I love my CRF.

Just bought a cherry 2002crf450r guy was afraid of it also has a skid plate on it my last bike was a 2 stroke and this crf sounds to me like it is ready to blow up as well glad i'm hearing it is normal well ok then i hope? anyway if it matters it does get quieter with clutch disengaged is this normal?

not sure it sounds louder on the left side than the right? it does have full skid plate i'm reading some posts that this magnifies the noise? these concerns are very loud only at idle don't hear anything rideing it i work on powerstroke diesels for a living and this bike is loud !!

A skidplate definately makes the bike seem louder at idle. These things idle like a coffee can full of rocks anyway and a skid plate directs the noise towards your worried ears. As long as it's still idling, I wouldn't worry about too much. Wear earplugs, they're cheap...

ya same deal i bought a brand new 06 crf450 and it sounds like its gonna blow up but in that case if it was gonna blow i imagine there would be some power loss and it will stand up anywhere in ANY gear, and smokes my brothers 400hp corvette until 80mph....the CRF is noisy power so don't worry

i just purchased a cherry low hour 05 crf 450r like new and i started it and thought it was gonna throw a rod out the fricken side of the block. but everyone told me dont worry so i bought it and rode it today the noise at idle had me sweatin it and worried sick. but now that im reading this post im feeling better about it the bike friggen rips and is a wheelie machine.. i love it.. so i guess the morral of the story here is if its making loud noises its running so i wont worrie about it thanks for the piece of mind guys i will sleep alot better tonight:banana:

i too have just jumped off a yammy 250f onto a crf450 and thought the engine on my new edition was screwed!!!

it has just had a top end build done with 2 hrs on it and i thought it was ready to lunch itself. it is definately NOT LOW ON POWER the thing is a beast it just sounds like an old coal train when idleing.

Having just bought a 2004 within the last week, l can attest to the 'chain slapper' noise. And starting the beast when it's cold (-13 the other night), was no treat. But l've got it!