Sign in to follow this  

Carnegie SVRA?

Hey guys. I just got back from my aunts house in Tracy. I made an awesome discovery. My aunts house is a little bit off the exit of Coral Halloe exit. Off the exit I see a sign that said Carnegie SVRA-left-6 miles. SO I'm like damn, thats awwesome. Where heading back there during the winter so I can take my smoker. Can anyone that has been there tell me how it is there and what to expect during the winter. Thankls in advaa=nce.

Carnegie is fun. Lots of fun and challenging hillclimbs, plus a mellow mx track. I make it there about every third weekend during the winter. Often times the rain will miss the place when it's pouring around the rest of the bay (I guess I should keep that a secret). If it does get rain, the clay gets messy. I tried riding there in the rain once and returned to my truck after about 45 mins, before I got hurt.

I think it's best early Sat and Sun mornings, before the dipsh*t crowd gets going (unless of course you can ride during the week). Weekend afternoons can get crowded with a lot of people acting stupid (e.g. riding on the wrong side of two way trails, hauling around blind corners, stopping at intersections, quads on single bike trails, etc.). I like to show up around 8 am, and clear out before noon. Makes for a really nice morning and the wife's stoked that I'm back at the house before 1. Make sure you ride with a camelback.

Cool, light fog, winter mornings can be awesome at Carnegie. It has some nice scenic views as well.

Some people will tell you its a pit, but it's all relative to whereever else you ride. Sure, if I lived 30 mins from Stonyford, I probably wouldn't ride Carnegie, but I don't. For me, Carnegie is a fun morning trip.

Yeah the place is a mess during the rainy season however the river/creek thing is loads of fun to blast through. Fair warning there are going to be shitloads of people out there during red sticker season so chances of getting run over are pretty high!

Carnegie is fun. Lots of fun and challenging hillclimbs, plus a mellow mx track. I make it there about every third weekend during the winter. Often times the rain will miss the place when it's pouring around the rest of the bay (I guess I should keep that a secret). If it does get rain, the clay gets messy. I tried riding there in the rain once and returned to my truck after about 45 mins, before I got hurt.

I think it's best early Sat and Sun mornings, before the dipsh*t crowd gets going (unless of course you can ride during the week). Weekend afternoons can get crowded with a lot of people acting stupid (e.g. riding on the wrong side of two way trails, hauling around blind corners, stopping at intersections, quads on single bike trails, etc.). I like to show up around 8 am, and clear out before noon. Makes for a really nice morning and the wife's stoked that I'm back at the house before 1. Make sure you ride with a camelback.

Cool, light fog, winter mornings can be awesome at Carnegie. It has some nice scenic views as well.

Some people will tell you its a pit, but it's all relative to whereever else you ride. Sure, if I lived 30 mins from Stonyford, I probably wouldn't ride Carnegie, but I don't. For me, Carnegie is a fun morning trip.

I see. So it has a clay type terrain? I was wondering if you have been down to Hungry Valley in Goman? If so, is it more crowded than that? But yeah, I will defiantely be going to Carnegie, considering the fact that it's only 10 minutes away.

I ride Carnegie more often due to it's location. At about 1-1/2 hours away, it is one of the closest riding areas for me.

Carnegie has lots of great climbs and good trails.

Great advice about going early and getting out early.

The moron factor goes up as the day goes on.

The mud. The mud at Carnegie can be super slippery. Conversely, it will stick to your bike like glue. When it rains hard, the upper trails can be closed by the rangers. There is a red light on top of the ranger station and it goes on when the hills are getting too wet. FOLLOW THE WARNING! The mud will stick to the bikes wheels until it looks like a "Flintstone" cycle. Ultimately, the wheels can pack so much mud, they will stop turning.

Since you live so close, time for a green sticker bike.

Carnegie is good if you like to do hill climbs. It is only good for a half day since it is so small. It is dry and dusty most of the year but if you can find those rare days (1-2 days after a big rain storm) when the place is nice and tacky, it can be really fun. If it is close to you it is worth going, but if you are passing another riding area to get to it, it may not be worth it.

:thumbsup: There's been lots of discussion about Carnegie here. Just search this forum and you'll have more than you can ever read in 1 day.

I love Carnegie. It is an acquired taste. Riding it when it's wet can be an experience. :ride:

I live 15 minutes from carnegie, sick place if you know which trails to take. nicest hill climbs when wet and tacky, when its dry they get dusty, I ride there every week in red sticker season if i am not going to stony, pie pie or clear creek, nicest place to me cause its my back yard. on weekend go out back in the single track so the retards cant follow you, leeme know when you are down ill show you around

Great advice about going early and getting out early.

The moron factor goes up as the day goes on.

Since you live so close, time for a green sticker bike.

Actually the moron factor seems to peak late afternoon and after 6pm things are better. You should get a green sticker bike. Riding all year is a good thing.

There are trails but here are some pics of the more open areas

IMGP1468.jpg

IMGP1466.jpg

If you break the rules there chances are you will get busted. Make sure you are sound and spark legal. The mud is slippery as snot on a door knob when its wet and when its bone dry some of the hills are like riding on BB's. Some trails and good hill climbs. I broke three ribs just up the hill from the MX track, I hit a hay bale on the edge of the trail coming down doing about 50 mph. It was an old bale that had weeds growing out of it so it blended right in with the grass on the edge of the trail. Riding back through the whooped out sand wash with broken ribs and bent handle bars was a blast. Watch out for the idiots, by about 11am on the weekends they are everywhere looking for a head-on collision. Mid week is much better and the rangers seem to be in a better mood during the week.