Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300.....your opinion, I know nothing about them

While at the MotoGP at Laguna, I spent some time at the Kawasaki tent...they had an 06 KLX 300 on display...I've never paid much attention to this bike before...so I sat on it, felt comfortable, and then looked at the price....sure is less expensive than some of the Euro bikes...

I assume its a green sticker bike here in the peoples republic of Calif.....for those of you who have owned one, what was your opinion....

i'm still looking for a dirtbike...been riding sport bikes the last few years, but grew up riding on the dirt...will hope to ride areas like Clear Creek, Hollister and Carnagie....maybe do an enduro for the fun of it....don't need the latest/greatest/lightest or fastest bike out there (though I wish I did!).....was looking at used 02 RM's and some used KTM's.....

This topic seems to come up about once a month. Enter "Opinion KLX300" in the search box for this forum. I'm not rying to be rude, it's just that it's been covered many times.

Ride on

Brewster

I have never posted anything on this subject, so IMO...

The KLX300 is the last of the "old school" 4 stroke dirt bikes - low seat height and no battery or e-start. It is a good trail bike but definitely not an MX or parking lot showoff bike. My 05 came without the exhaust plug or airbox snorkel and the stock (49 States) jetting was okay at 3000 ft. It was adequate for casual trail riding - reasonable weight, power, suspension, and cost.

I have since rejetted, added a skid plate, removed the airbox lid, replaced the filter, done the breather mod. and replaced the header with the FSW unit. These give the bike more grunt and allow it to rev for very little $ with no reliability compromise. To license the bike in Idaho I added a horn, mirror, speedo, and brake light but you won't be able to get away with that in the PRC.

The CV carb on the 300 is hated by expert riders but loved by novices like me. It produces smooth, slow reving power and tolerates altitude changes. If you are a mid-intermediate or above, get something else but if you want a reliable, easy to ride trail bike then consider the KLX. Shop around - you should be able to get one for much less than list because they aren't very popular.

I have owned a few bike (TTR250, DRZ400 and KLX300R). Out of all the bikes I've owned I like the KLX the most. It is really a do it all bike. The only thing I would change about the KLX is electric start. That being said the KLX kicks over with one to two kicks. Another good thing about the KLX is that it is a good adult beginner bike that you won't out grow too quickly (or possibly at all). I know a lot of people feel that it is the perfect combination of power and handling. I just put mine up for sale today. If you're in the Sacramento area check it out:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/189217629.html

I like mine. Like stated above, it is no racer, but for a fun, reliable trail rider, it just can't be beat for the price.

They are very forgiving machines, with a wide torque spread, good handling, and controlled suspension.

The torque spread can be increased with 'free' mods that take little more than time, and when dialed in, the stock suspension is adequate, but not up to par of the 'new school' bikes. However, a set of gold valves & proper springs will go a LONG way in fixing that deficiency.

Where the KLX 300 shines is in tight, gnarly trails. Out in the wide open, it isn't all that impressive. You will be passed by almost anything with more displacement, as well as the newer high-performance 250s, as well as bikes like the KX125 or CR 125. However, challenge those same bikes to a gnarly hillclimb, and you will crawl right up where they will struggle.

Everytime this topic comes up I post the same thing. Do a search for the details but...

I love my 2002 KLX. I am not trying to be a hero though. Just wanted a reliable bike that worked well on the trail. I seem to have found it. Since owning it I have learned a great deal about bike maintenance and upkeep which is pretty darn fun too.

You will be passed by almost anything with more displacement, as well as the newer high-performance 250s, as well as bikes like the KX125 or CR 125. However, challenge those same bikes to a gnarly hillclimb, and you will crawl right up where they will struggle.

You forgot the KX100.......up til about 4th gear. :ride::applause: The bike is what it is. Like it has been said, it's a trail bike. Very good in tight twisties. Turns on a dime. Is a little heavy. But very reliable. If that seems to fit....you'll love it. (No MX'ing the bike though... :thumbsup: )

thanks.......i've done the "search" and been reading past post on this topic...

i appreciate the input .........

With a 33mm pumper carb, FSW header, FMF muffler, open air box, shift kit, Race Tech suspension, my KLX300 will keep up with my WR426 in all but flat out wide open throttle stuff. And it's a lot less effort in the tight stuff. I love it. :thumbsup:

i just recently got my 300, '01 not brand new. the prev. owner hardly rode it, but he did put an fmf muffler on it and re jetted it (no idea with what).i changed the gearing(with help). I love the thing, mind you im a girl and my prev. bike was an xr200, so its not like i have a ton of bike knowledge. im 5'4" and its the perfect height, a little heavy for me, but i manage.the suspension and braking are my most favupgrades from the 200, the power too of course. yes, electric start would be ideal, but i dont want it any heavier. i dunno, this info is probably useless to you guys, but hell, if theres any girls out there who want somethin a little more than the 230s an 125s out there, maybe this info would be helpful... :thumbsup:

i love the hell outa my KLX, its not to big, yet not small, it packs a punch yet its extremely agile, and i would deem it (with a few mods) the best trail bike out there...but thats just my opinion

my friend has a klx300r and he puts it through hell..it will smoke my other friends 250fs on top end but on bottom it will be a little bit behind..reliable too

The KLX300 is the last of the "old school" 4 stroke dirt bikes

Ummmm.... Not exactly! I guess it depends on your definition of old school versus new generation.

The KLX300 is/was the first of the current generation performance 4-strokes having a cam/bucket/shim head design for higher revving, is water cooled, has a wishbone style split frame, adjustable inverted forks, multi link rear suspension with compression and rebound dampening, a 6 speed close ratio gear box and front and rear hydraulic disc brakes among many other innovations and it weighed less than 240 lbs.

I can't think of any other bike from that era that had this level of design. In fact, many of the other major manufacturers didn't get to this level for another 5 years. Ironically, Kawasaki hasn't done an ounce of redesign on this bike since its' inception but still, it isn't a bad bike by todays' standards and it's very acceptable when you apply the free mods to it. Add a better pipe and a carb and it gets impressive. I can't think of ANY old school bike that can claim this. Can you?

The KLX300 is/was the first of the current generation performance 4-strokes having a cam/bucket/shim head design for higher revving, is water cooled, has a wishbone style split frame, adjustable inverted forks, multi link rear suspension with compression and rebound dampening, a 6 speed close ratio gear box and front and rear hydraulic disc brakes among many other innovations and it weighed less than 240 lbs.

I can't think of any other bike from that era that had this level of design. In fact, many of the other major manufacturers didn't get to this level for another 5 years. Ironically, Kawasaki hasn't done an ounce of redesign on this bike since its' inception but still, it isn't a bad bike by todays' standards and it's very acceptable when you apply the free mods to it. Add a better pipe and a carb and it gets impressive. I can't think of ANY old school bike that can claim this. Can you?

Bucked hit the nail on the head!! :thumbsup::ride: The KLX predated the WR/YZ400 as quite possibly the first of the new design 4strokes. The YZ made the big splash though, while the KLX remained (as Bucked stated) virtually unchanged. And still.....Kawi is selling tons of them.

bp

With a 33mm pumper carb, FSW header, FMF muffler, open air box, shift kit, Race Tech suspension, my KLX300 will keep up with my WR426 in all but flat out wide open throttle stuff. And it's a lot less effort in the tight stuff. I love it. :thumbsup:

I have two KlX's and they both rock. Literaly, they will climb up a rocky trail more reliably than any other bike I have encountered. They are easy to ride and are super reliable. My son is now 16 and can jump, climb, turn and ride better than me. I have taken on hill climbs that my buddies fail on. I actually found one that I upshifted on to complete where the other bikes were all turning out to avoid a fall.

If you know how to ride em, they are plenty quick, and just like everything else out there, you can makle it really quick, just depends on how much money you throw at it. Mine is pretty stock, and I can keep up with an 04 YZ 250, on a motox track or in the desert, and the guy on the YZ aint slow.

There's an old story about Dick Burleson showing up at a MX track and racing a bone stock KLX250 (back around '95). He handily beat and even lapped most of the racers. Of course if you're Dick, that shouldn't really be a problem. :thumbsup: They were quite unhappy about it.

I would not advise racing MX with a KLX though. Not if you want your frame to survive.

Hi Bill P,

Can you tell me how your fcr35 carb is going, i would like to change carbs on my 02klx300 from cv (dynajet) to a pumper. What bikes are the fcr35 carbs used on, here in AUS a new one is almost $1000.00 and thought a second hand one may be the way to go

cheers Hatto

hatto, this is kind of off topic, but the carb is doing great. I love it. FCR's are expensive here as well - $600-700. The FCR35mm is the way to go, but is hard to find. I'd check with Jerry Leighton at Fourstrokeworks.com. FCR's are used on most of the popular bikes - CRF's, YZF's WR's, KTM's, etc. A properly tuned FCR (seems to be rare these days) will make your KLX JUMP!!!!!!!!! It is everything the CVK isn't. Polar opposites. Right after I put the carb on I broke my wrist. I was on a long 100+ mile ride and had a cramp in my leg. I was going up a small (easy) rocky hill and was stretching my leg. (Stupid thing to do while climbing a hill....I know....) I hit a baseball sized rock and the accompaning jerk of the bike made my throttle hand twitch. The bike stood straight up and went over the side - taking me with it. :thumbsup: If you have the patience to tune it (Accel pump w/ taffey mod and using Jerry's jetting specs as a start) it will make you very happy. It's extremely responsive, makes a big fat bottom end, and give the bike some "hit" that they don't have with a CVK.