Sign in to follow this  

400E exhaust getting RED hot

Hey guys I recently layed the bike down and it cracked the left radiator so I bought a radiator off ebay but it is for the 400S which has bigger fittings than the tubes so I went to an auto parts store and got an adapter and fit it on there. It seems that since I put that radiator on the exhaust pipe right where it comes out of the engine is getting red hot and the whole bike is getting hot. I dont know if it is the radiator that is causing this because it is pretty much the same size just bigger fittings. Oh and the night that the radiator cracked I was riding it before I noticed and the pipe was red hot and noticed fluid leaking out so that is the first time i saw the pipe getting hot before I put the new rad on. What do u think it could be? I was going to check the thermostat but I dont know where exactly it is on the bike is it on the front or the side? also the rad is getting hot when i touch it so i'm pretty sure that means fluid is pumping thru it right? Thanks in advance for the help.

Thermostat is under water neck on head.

E and S have different radiators with different inlet and outlet positions, are you sure you are hooked up correctly?

What you mean under the water head? And the only difference the S and the E radiators have is that the S has the temp gauge on it and the fittings are a little bit wider they are in the same place though... this is the left radiator were talkin bout i'm sure the right radiators are different.

I saw a post in the jetting forum where someone has a red hot header like you and they were running lean.

Check your jetting and make sure the float height is OK.

What you mean under the water head? And the only difference the S and the E radiators have is that the S has the temp gauge on it and the fittings are a little bit wider they are in the same place though... this is the left radiator were talkin bout i'm sure the right radiators are different.

The water NECK is on the head and is where the hose from the radiator goes to. Not sure about radiator design, I just know that they looked different.

My freinds WR250 pipe would do that. i dont think it was a big deal but he might of found the problem. GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup: