Headlight dosent work!

I just bought a brand new PIAA H6M bulb because my old headlight bulb was burnt out on my 90 XR250. sO I put the new one in and it dosent work. i also noticed my tail light is out but i think i need a new bulb for it. help please

thanks jared

I bought a 94 XR250 not long ago with light problems. My headlight was very dim. With some advice from folks here and Ricky Stator I discovered that the lighting side of my stator was bad. Do some searching here for "stator" and you'll find some notes on how to test it. I ended up with a 50 watt bulb connected to stator wires under the seat as the final test. My stator would light a normal 12V bulb and even burn them out, but the 50W bulb looked like a toaster element.

What watt bulb did you buy??? Stock Stator = 35w bulbs max..... anything above that and you will need a new stator or rewind your stock one... Look to Baja Designs or Ricky stator for this...

If you put a bigger bulb in, It will light, but not to full capacity and your other lights will hardly light due to the draw of the "too big" bulb...

Your new bulb might just be bad.. Did you put your stock one back in and see if it lights??? And actually, I would have to test it to know for sure, but anything less might not light up that bulb... I've seen some types of bulbs funny that way.. But all that said, you still need more stator to to run it right if it's over 35w...

Green wire = low beam (normal for stock bulb)

double yellow = high beam (for dual element bulbs)

black = ground

The box says 35/35W=60/60W. I put my ohm meter on DCV 20 and i was getting 2.8 out of the stator at idel, when it was at high idle i was getting around 3.8 to 4.2 . This same current was flowing right to my bulb connecters so the wires and connecters must be good.

Two questions.

Does anyone know what on earth 35/35W = 60/60 W means? A light bulb is either one or the other, not both.

And: I am not familiar with the procedure for measuring the voltage coming out of the stator, but would that not be an AC voltage?

d.

Read this thread and check it per some of the notes...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348557

The output from the stator is AC, not DC.

I did a lot of measuring with a meter via the wires from the stator under the seat. I tried a regular 12V bulb there and it burned bright, then burned out. I thought I had a good stator. Spotted a 50W or 55W bulb at the auto parts store and tried it. I barely glowed. For me this was a much truer load test and it eliminates the regulator as the problem. True, the system won't burn a 50+W bulb real bright anyway, but directly off the stator it should be brighter than a toaster element.

I retested on AC and my stators putting out 11.5 V at idle. I located the problem to the bulb connecter. If i play around with the connection the headlight will work when its in a certain spot. But when i live the connection in its spot its supposed to be in, the headlight stops working.

I retested on AC and my stators putting out 11.5 V at idle. I located the problem to the bulb connecter. If i play around with the connection the headlight will work when its in a certain spot. But when i live the connection in its spot its supposed to be in, the headlight stops working.

Cool.. Nice and easy fix....

Duct Tape

I had a similar problem with my headlight. I could get it to work in a certain spot but if i moved the bars to far each way or if I rode hard at night it would go in and out. I ended up completly rewiring the headlight assembly ( the part the plugs into the loom and the back of the bulb ) And I even had to go back into the loom to replace some worn out wiring.

Hope this helps