Sign in to follow this  

1996 cr 125..... anything wrong or something i should know?

well, i have been building my 50 cc pit bike for a week or so now, go everything setup when i came across this add that says he wanted a 50 for his 1996 Cr 125, told him i almost had a roller except i had an engine and all the stuff i had put on this was actually really nice, and i only spent 400 on it. for that 400 i bought a gpx 1 down 3 up motor, rcm frame, +4 rcm mono swinger and all, pitster pro forks. i have an 05 yz 125, and my dad has nothing though he use to race and all, but he's the only way i can transport my bike. so if i wanna go to the track, he has to go and sit all day and watch, which i don't think he minds too much but i know he doesn't like it after seeing me over and over again. so i was thinking if i added this bike to my collection, he would have something to ride and it would increase my ride time much more.

:ride:

so my real question is was there anything wrong with the 1996 Cr 125S, are they good reliable bikes or what, anything i should look out for, thnx in advance! :thumbsup:

go for it!! i belive 96 CR's are legendary..

Isn't that the year you were born?

Anyways, go have a look at it kid, don't make any deals until you check it over, come back, tell us what you think, and what you think looks suspicious. Just ask questions, check to make sure the air-box is clean, chain isn't too tight, everything looks well maintained, check the oil, how clean is it? etc...just get a feel for how he takes care of his bikes, if it all seems good then it might not be a bad deal.

I have one. It's actually one of the fastest, best handling 125's I've ever ridden & reliable as a rock.

ok, well im not too worried about it, i mean im trading something that i built for 400 dollars for a bike that i could easily fix and sell for 3 times the amount. i mean, he's being pretty truthfull about it, he said its does need a new topend, it will start, but it could use one, and that there are no scratches on the cyclinder walls. the bike is going to need some work, new pipe or remove the dents.use a pretty thorough clean job, new piston and rings, im thinking wiseco, new plug, lube the chain, maybe new sprockets. its just something that i will do to any used bike i get, just to make sure everything is in working order when i staret her up, and knowing that i have a new plug in their that wont fould during the first couple minutes of riding. and knowing that i wont shred the teeth of my rear sprocket and stuff like that. im kinda pumped because i cant wait to ride with my dad. we havent ridden together for a long tim, or atleast at the same time, and considering he was local pro back in the day, it will be a blast, i learned everything i know from him, and having a fast rider to pace my self with and not worry about getting aggressive because i made his plastic get a scratch in it. also, i havent been seeing my dad much lately, he's been working and stuff, so this will make the time i spend with him 10 times better.