Sign in to follow this  

Removing a wheel the old skool way

Is it safe to remove a wheel from a DRZ the old skool way, ie lay the bike down in the grass on it's side and take the wheel off?

I've been putting mine on a jack in the garage, but it sure would be handy to know if it's safe to lay it on it's side in case a trail side tube replacement was needed.

Thanks!

No problem, pull the vacuum line off of the fuel petcock, let her run until she quits. Set her down on her side & go to town with what ever she needs. Don’t forget to prime her up when you’re done.You could just get a rock to prop her up.

I've done a fair amount of work on my bike with it laying on its side including replacing the clutch etc. No problem with it laying down, in fact some rides I swear it is laying down more than standing up the lazy bike :thumbsup:

You do what you have to do. No problem for the bike. I had to do this in a parking lot down town Seattle to fix a flat (twice). Now I have a handy prop to get the rear off but the front wheel is still a throw it on the side deal. I hate flats.