Sign in to follow this  

jump building

i was going to build some jumps on my track and was wondering what would be the best type of dirt for the hills or just the lips.

also any building techniques would be helpful.

about how much dirt would it take to build just the tabletop in this picture, but maybe about 2-3 feet shorter?

http://www.kincaidracing.com/IMG_0295w.jpg

Thanks.

i was going to build some jumps on my track and was wondering what would be the best type of dirt for the hills or just the lips.

also any building techniques would be helpful.

about how much dirt would it take to build just the tabletop in this picture, but maybe about 2-3 feet shorter?

http://www.kincaidracing.com/IMG_0295w.jpg

Thanks.

Can't help with that. However, I would like to know where that pic was taken.

Can't help with that. However, I would like to know where that pic was taken.

I'm pretty sure it was at MTF in Cairo,GA.

I belive that is a double :thumbsup:

It would take alot more dirt than you think....but man, that kid is crazy!

shazaM

I'm pretty sure it was at MTF in Cairo,GA.

I was just curious. Saw that you where in Texas and was wondering if it was close to Houston.

Take logs and/or debri, and pile it all up in an orderly and sound manner, and cover it with a solid foot of dirt. This helps use less dirt. As to types of dirt, depends, clay and hardpacked soils will stay in place better with traffic and rain, but soft soil with sand and sawdusts are easier to groom and imo are nicer, but they erode easier.

Take logs and/or debri, and pile it all up in an orderly and sound manner, and cover it with a solid foot of dirt. This helps use less dirt. As to types of dirt, depends, clay and hardpacked soils will stay in place better with traffic and rain, but soft soil with sand and sawdusts are easier to groom and imo are nicer, but they erode easier.

I was just curious. Saw that you where in Texas and was wondering if it was close to Houston.

where i am or the pic?

I am northwest of Dallas, and the pic is in Georgia. :thumbsup:

where i am or the pic?

I am northwest of Dallas, and the pic is in Georgia. :thumbsup:

im in the Denton/Aubrey area :ride:

i am not sure about motocross jumps but i think they would be almost the same as bike jumps and i have made lots of those just start piling debrise up and then cover it all in with dirt atleast 1 1/2 dirt or more because if you ride it alot you will eventually were thourght it and have to re-groom it and you dont want to have to haul more dirt into fix it

cool. about how much dirt and or debris would it take to make a jump like the one in the pic, but maybe about 2 feet shorter?

10 Yards or so I would say...maybe even more. Remember, it still needs to be packed really hard. Dirt around here goes for $100/5YD

we have this sand/gravel pit pretty close to our house that used to be on our land and we sold some of it so they could dig. now we can pretty much get however much dirt we want... usually. anyways, it is kinda sandy but packs together really well. how many loads should i get brought in?

we have this sand/gravel pit pretty close to our house that used to be on our land and we sold some of it so they could dig. now we can pretty much get however much dirt we want... usually. anyways, it is kinda sandy but packs together really well. how many loads should i get brought in?

Man you are talking a major excavation project there. That is a pretty good sized tabletop. Just by looking at it I would say you would be looking at probably 20 to 25 tandum truck loads at the very least.

im in the Denton/Aubrey area :thumbsup:

Im in aubrey too. what tracks do you go too. I ride trails but i want to got to some tracks and i dont know which ones are too crowded

To build that from level ground it would definately take 40+ loads from a tri axel dump truck. Around here a tri axle can haul 18 cubic yards legally. The going rate for hauling a clean load of tri axle dirt is about $110 per truck, about $5000 for that ramp. IT'S BIG.

Look at the bike leaning on the post and look at the lip of the table top, it's got to be 12' vertical. That is alot of dirt.

nothing below 60+ my dad has a tandem dump truck and one load isn't really enough for a mtn bike jump so for the person who said 20-25 they must be thinking of semi dumps

"Jump Building"???

Man, I saw the title of this thread and I thought somebody was going to jump their bike over a house.

People that speak English might of titled it something like, "jump construction".....eh?

Jump building is most definetley a skill. If you're building a small jump,and I mean small like out in the woods,yard track or the like ,simple piles of logs,rock concrete covered w/ a ft' of dirt works. If you are fortunate enough to be building jumps on a track that con handle 5-6 bikes and you plan on getting air you really have to be careful w/ theangle of the lip and the dirt used. i've been many a track and seen the angle be off on new jumps and many a friend take dirt naps. If you an get dirt that you can pack down and waterit and let it bake in the sun then waterit and so on the ramps will harden and not erode,forming the dreaded kicker right at the top.