Sign in to follow this  

Thomaston Dam 8-11

PUTTING TOGETHER A RIDE FOR FRIDAY 8-11 AROUND 11AM. :ride: PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN UP WITH ME. I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE AND WANT TO CHECK IT OUT. I COULD USE SOME LOCAL GUIDANCE. SAY THE WORD IF YOU'RE UP FOR IT. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

Ok i'm having a bit of a problem with registration. I am told i need CT registration for the off road(kids) bikes ( mine is plated so no problem) and i cant get that done without a CT drivers License.

I'm not going if i can't ride legally, so can someone shed some light on this. The dirt bikes are registered in NJ but Plates are not available in NJ for ORV's and the dam website says CT registration required.... Help!!!!

Ok i'm having a bit of a problem with registration. I am told i need CT registration for the off road(kids) bikes ( mine is plated so no problem) and i cant get that done without a CT drivers License.

I'm not going if i can't ride legally, so can someone shed some light on this. The dirt bikes are registered in NJ but Plates are not available in NJ for ORV's and the dam website says CT registration required.... Help!!!!

So they are saying that you, being the father, need a CT drivers licence in order to get you kids bikes registerd in CT?

:ride: The "Dam Army" tell me i need to go to CT dmv down the road and register the off road bikes in CT so i can ride the dam. This was their suggestion because i am out of state and the bikes are not "registered orv in CT" CT does NOT accept anyone elses regisration for ORV only Street legal registration. this is what the dam army told me. so i called CT dmv to ask about registering the vehicles as ORV in CT and DMV tell me i CANNOT register them in CT because i do not have a CT driver license. :thumbsup: I am not a resident. Catch 22. LOSE LOSE situation. Off roaders from out of state cant ride there unless registered for the street? :cry::ride::ride:

Well here's the thing, they probably won't checjk your stuff if you don't bring alot of attention to yourself. If your bike is quiet, your riding reasonable and your not making problems you won't have a problem.

So, i'm going to give it a whirl, and if all else fails, i just turn around and go to Lembo Lake. I see on their website weekdays are by appointment. Guess i need a backup plan. Anyway, i'll be there on the 11th,look me up.crf250x cr85 big wheel #4 and a ttr125. all from JOISEY. see ya there.

Gary

Although I am registered, my plate and registration are kept inside my truck, not on the bike. I have never been bothered, ever. I have friends from New York that come up all the time with New York registrations, they have also never been bothered. If the DEP does approach you, which I doubt, just explain your situation. The rangers that you see there will not bother you at all.

I see you have a hole family that rides. I am also an older rider (51) riding with my 17 year old daughter. If your kids are beginners, be cautious when riding on the left side, main road, it gets pretty techinical. You have to remember to stay left going in, and left coming back, unless, your on the main road. You will see arrows, follow them. Hope that made sense.

If I can get out of work early, I might go next Friday as well, will be there around 2 pm. During the week is great, you usually have the place to yourself.

In the garage

2001 Ducati 996S

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R

2001 Yamaha WR250

2003 Suzuki RM100, daughters bike

2003 Kawasaki 650 Praire

2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM

1974 Suzuki TM400

Next Friday?

Hopefully I'll have my cast off and clutch rebuilt, there's a lot of if's there but I'm hoping to make it up there. IF you see a KDX with inverted forks and a umm bigger fellow on it with yellow MSR's thats me!!

im gonna try to make it as well. 03 cr125. itd be funny if me and crrider got mixed up...very similar bikes.

im gonna try to make it as well. 03 cr125. itd be funny if me and crrider got mixed up...very similar bikes.

how meny times have you been riding at the dam?? iv been riding there 3-4 years now and like 200 times :thumbsup:

and my motor is still at boyesen i called him this morning and hes still working on it he dosent no if it will be done today so i dont no if i can go tomarrow :thumbsup:

and my motor is still at boyesen i called him this morning and hes still working on it he dosent no if it will be done today so i dont no if i can go tomarrow :thumbsup:

wrong tomorrow.... the trip is planned for the 11th, next friday, and ive only been to the dam once.

So the DEP has been making trips up to the Dam from time to time? Why can't these guys look into the illegal riding spots? Why do the have to make life so much harder for those trying to ride at really the only legal spot to ride? If someone is acting like a yahoo, let the authorities deal with them but I find it pretty lame for the DEP to be checking us out looking to nab us when attempting to ride at a legal location. Thumbs down to that.

maybe they ARE showing up because of Yahoos. I dontknow never been there before but, if guys are riding ASSHOLISHLY they will enforce the law. i cant believe that anyone with a registered bike and a # on the fender is ging to bring attention to themselves.

Sounds like it won't be a problem.. but for anyone that does ride over there often:

I should be ok with a Mass ATV plate, right? I've ridden plenty of areas, and never got crap, just want to check with those that ride the dam often.

to quote the DEP:

make sure you tell the DMV people that you want to register the bikes as All Terrain Vehicles, not motorcycles. If you tell them that you want a motorcycle registration that is probably why they want a CT driver's license. We do not have reciprocity with any other state for ATV registrations, therefore every ATV must be registered in CT to be operated here regardless of where the owner lives. You can advise the person at DMV to look up Connecticut General Statute section 14-380: Operation prohibited without valid registration. Exceptions.On or after October 1, 1971, no person shall operate and no owner shall permit the operation of any snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle unless the owner holds a valid, effective registration awarded by this state or by another state or by the United States, provided such state or district of registration grants substantially similar privileges for snowmobiles or all-terrain vehicles owned by residents of this state and registered under its laws, and unless the identification number set forth in such registration is displayed on such snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle as prescribed in section 14-381, provided every resident of this state shall obtain such registration from this state under the provisions of section 14-381, before such operation shall be lawful. The provisions of this section shall not apply (1) to the operation of a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle on premises owned or leased by the owner of such snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle or (2) to the operation of a snowmobile in any organized contest as long as such snowmobile is operated in the contest area, provided the owner of such snowmobile holds a valid, effective registration awarded by this state or by another state or the United States.

If the person at DMV that you spoke to has a question regarding this you may have them contact me at 860-485-0226.

Captain Camejo

CT State EnCon Police