Sign in to follow this  

Carb Settings/Starting 01 XR80

Hey all, brand new here and to dirt bikes period...good luck to me! Just got a XR80 for my son and WR400 to keep myself entertained.

Wondering if anyone had the standard carb settings for the XR handy - would like to get a baseline to work from. She starts ok but takes some work and the little guy only has so many kicks in him... Also, any starting procedure tips would be great - the WR has a pretty specific routine that works perfect. Thanks in advance!!!

I used to have a 2001 XR 80. I don't know the carb setting but the bike just wouldn't start sometimes. A trick a friend taught me was to open the throttle three times and kick it slow two times and on the third give it all you got. It should start. If it doesn't it might be something internal. On the carb there is a little gold screw. If you can get the bike going turn the little screw and find out if it's left or right that raises the revs. After that find the sweet spot . you should be able 2 recognise it. or just inch it higher until the bike doesn't stall and idles normal. let me know how this goes. :thumbsup:

It should take one kick, with it starting beforer you foot reaches the bottom. The base line is 1 1/2 turns out. Maybe you need a new plug and clean your air filter? There's no real procedure, however I been riding these things for so long, it's just 2nd nature. But in the summer time with regular temps, it should start every time with nore more than two kicks.