Sign in to follow this  

new clutch

i have a 02 cr 250 and im pretty sure it needs a new clutch

wht brand should i go with?

and is it hard to put in a new clutch?

my uncle knows how to , but hes slow with stuff

You probably just need to replace the plates. You'll have metal and fiber plates in a "basket" behind the primary pressure plate. There are usually 6 bolts that hold on the primary plate, each with a spring behind it. Once you have drained the oil and pulled the cover; make sure the bike is in gear and take out the bolts. The springs will come out with the bolts and you should be able to pull the outer pressure plate and the stack of plates out. Pay attention to the sequence of plates and put the new ones back in the same order. You'll need to use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts so you don't break the clutch basket. You should replace the springs if they've never been replaced and the bike has been well ridden.

When it comes to replacement parts, you can go OEM or aftermarket; depends on your preference. Hinson, Barnett, and Vesarah make aftermarket replacement parts. If your clutch basket has grooves in it where the ears of the plates contact it, it may need to be replaced also. Hinson and Barnett both have excellent aftermarket parts.

My suggestion is, if you don't have a manual, get one. The Clymer manual is usually cheaper than the factory manual and should be all need for this. Also, replace the O-ring that seals the cover to prevent leaks and tighten the cover bolts to the correct torque. The values should be listed in the manual.

Excellent advice JBird. If you have the money go with the complete Hinson set up. I have it in mine and it is sooooooo smooth. Worth every penny to me.

ok thnks guys

but now idont have money to spend on a clutch i need to get a new top end

i have aservice manual but my uncle let his friend borrow it.

do u know how much compression the bike should have ?(02 cr 250)?