Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning A Frame

I'm doing a ground up on my 450. The frame looks like some of it is bare aluminum and some of looks like it has a clear coating. On the inside where the webbing is small and recessed, is where the red clay stains are at. I don't think sand blasting is a good idea, or easy off oven cleaner. What about aluminum brightener or plastic bead blaster. Has anyone had any luck without elbow grease?

I thought about bead blasting the area around the "boot wear area" but never tried it. I have seen a similar finish like a new crf on an edelbrok car intake manifold, after the blasting . I think they used walnut media??? I do know the chemicals I have fount to make aluminum look new were hard to obtain and handle. I think corrosive I don't remember but it was too much work. I have personally tried to harsh cleaners and it will dull the color; like greased lightning.

For the last 5 years on my Hondas I have always used ScotchBrite Green, followed by a ScotchBrite Lt. Blue which makes it look brand new in just a few minutes. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, there is no magic in a can. I took it over to a car wash with hot soapy high pressure and gave it a general bath. Then I washed it with SOS pads, and while it had SOS soap on it, I rub it down with some 00 steel wool. Then while it still had SOS soap on it, I squirted some 3M fine cut rubbing compound down in the recessed webbing and rubbed it with my fingers. I figured out that I'm not going to make an 02 frame look show room new, but it looks dang close. Thanks again for the input.