Sign in to follow this  

2007 CR144 rumour?

I heard a rumour today that Husky is going back to the drawing board and going to bring out a factory stroked CR144 to compete with the KTM 144SX.

I am not how much truth there is to this but it came from a pretty reliable source.

Anyone else hear anything like this?

I haven't heard anything from my dealer, but have been wondering if Husky would step up to meet KTM. It should be an awesome bike! :thumbsup:

Norman

I just read in Cycle News(?) (I get too many bike mags) that the KTM 144 added displacement by changing the stroke only. CN said that the new AMA rules only allowed the BORE to be increased to be legal. &%$#@! was KTM thinking about then? Will they ask the AMA for a rule change and then use the stroker as a base for something bigger? Those wacky Austrians.

Personally I think they should concentrate on making the 250 better and making the 125 smaller for the kids coming off of 85's.

I think they would find a better market building a bike that fits between these sizes using the 125 motor.

I don't know where the AMA stands on the bore versus stroke deal but bore only would mean that the 125s that are out there can be brought up to being competitive. The 144 makes total sence to me! The 2 stroke is less money/maintence, you can flog them for hours and repair them for less and 90% of the riders out there want to feel like their equiptment is competitive but can not afford to have the latest high tech piece every six months. Furthermore I think the two stroke is a better learning tool. Too many riders that learn on a four stroke use the bike as a crutch and never learn to use momentum. The guys that learn on little two strokes use momentum, cornering speed.

When reading the rules it clearly states they don't allow the stroke to be modified to achieve the max allowed displacement. It never implies that an engine can't be made from the factory that way, and they use that "OEM parts" statement all the time. I say build it and they will come. I think they should make 2 strokes so amateur friendly for racing that everyone races them. The advantages are so obvious.

I thought the rule was brought in to allow the already existing 125's to be made competitive again. And the reason to for this was that they were loosing a lot of young kids and their fathers due to the high running cost of the 4 strokes. I guess that's why they said no stroke increases, to keep the costs down :thumbsup: