Valve Clearance Opinion

Checked the clearance on my valves last night:

Exhaust- 0.22mm(both)

Intake- 0.14mm(left) and 0.09mm(Right)

The right intake is a little below spec but I was going to leave and check again after another 1000Klms. What do you think?

Bike has done 10000Klms and is an E.

Exhaust- 0.22mm(both)

The right intake is a little below spec but I was going to leave and check again after another 1000Klms. What do you think?

Big mistake, it is below spec now and running it this way will accellerate wear. Unless of course you want to ruin them so you can get some one piece valves to replace them with. Exhaust is as tight as I like to run them.

It is not a serious problem but time is time and it is time to do all the valves. Plan on an afternoon of disassembly and running to the shop for parts. The valve train is designed to operate with the clearances specified. It is not going to hurt to run another 1000K's but why wait? It's time.

Set mid range to loose within the specified range. Shims are available .05mm (.002 in). Original shims came in .025mm (.001 inch) so you will have to shim using sizes avaialble. Also, measure the shims (new and used) because shims are not exactly as marked.

Exhaust- 0.22mm(both)

The one intake valve is below spec when cold,, that means when warm,it may already not be seating completely. The minimum spec's there for a reason, it's not within tolerance,, Adjust now.

If the intakes are closing up(not sure is this is the first time you have ever checked or the 10th ) then you can be sure, your adjustment will not last long. Once a valve starts to recede into the head,, they just keep going.

Thanks for your help. I have booked it in to be done next week. I was going to try and do it myself but chickened out. As far as removing the camshaft caps, I never had to take them off to check the clearance?