Sign in to follow this  

pipe differences...

Ok so i have a 91KDX200 and i wanna get a new pipe for it. So i've been looking on this site www.bikebandit.com, and if i look at the pipe and silencer options for newer bikes it gives me different options then older bikes. Whats the difference between years? Have the pipe and silencer mounts changed or anything or will like a FMF Gnarly woods pipe work on my 91, or do i have to buy a fatty pipe? And also whats the difference between a Turbine core silencer and a Turbine core two silencer, a power core and power core two silencer?

Thanks much, Conorride

The pipe and silencer mounts have changed as long as the style and size of the pipes. A gnarly will work on your 91, just make sure the pipe is made for your bike. I put a fatty kx250 pipe on my bike and it's great, but I don't advise that. The difference between the silencer isn't to much, I don't think. I think it has to do with decibels and how like the bike is and such. On my bike I had a gnarly and a powercore2 and it worked great, but I put my fatty back on.

Ok so i have a 91KDX200 and i wanna get a new pipe for it. So i've been looking on this site www.bikebandit.com, and if i look at the pipe and silencer options for newer bikes it gives me different options then older bikes. Whats the difference between years? Have the pipe and silencer mounts changed or anything or will like a FMF Gnarly woods pipe work on my 91, or do i have to buy a fatty pipe? And also whats the difference between a Turbine core silencer and a Turbine core two silencer, a power core and power core two silencer?

Thanks much, Conorride

Like I have posted a dozen times, the absolute bes bang to "wake up" the choked KDX's is a P/C pipe and a 304 shorty silencer. I've ridden both, there is a BIG difference riding a piped and properly jetted KDX from a stock one.

There is only one (FMF) brand pipe or (Pro Picrcuit) brand pipe available for 1989 - 1994 KDX200's. You may also find a (DG) brand pipe or other brand pipe if you look around. According to Dirt Bike magazine's pipe shootout for 1989 - 1994 KDX200 pipes, the Pro Circuit pipe made power better at high RPM's, while the (FMF) was the best all around pipe.

For the 1989 - 1994 KDX200's, the (FMF) Turbine Core spark arrestor/silencer is available as well as the (FMF) Power Core silencer. There are no Turbine Core 2 or Power Core 2 models for 1989 - 1994 KDX200's. There are KDX versions for the later/last models, the 1995 - 2006 KDX200/KDX220 models.

Basically, unless you want a super welding/fabrication/jetting project, just buy a pipe, spark arrestor and/or silencer designed for a 1989 - 1994 KDX200.

Good luck with your shopping!