Sign in to follow this  

Revalve or triple clamps???

I'm faced with the dreaded front end 'push' on my 450R. It just doesn't want to turn without a ton of rider input; unlike my friend's who has the 20mm offset triple clamps. And I KNOW it's not technique or rebound adjustments... have experimented with everything. I can turn the bike, it just requires much more input than my buddy's bike (identical except for the clamps).

I spoke with a suspension company today and they told me that their revalve would fix that push.

My suspension valving is stock but I have dropped in the proper springs front and rear for my weight (and I feel it works okay as is). I just want to get rid of that pesky push and have more accurate steering -- but if I can get THAT plus a even plusher suspension setup all in one shot, then cool... on the other hand, I know that a set of 20mm triple clamps would definitely take care of the push (just wouldn't have the suspension to go with it).

So what do you guys think? I have a $500 budget, so I would only be able to get one or the other.

How about getting a set of offset triple clamps for $150 off eBay and have your suspension revalved with the extra $350?

How about getting a set of offset triple clamps for $150 off eBay and have your suspension revalved with the extra $350?

That's a great idea...You should be able to get BOTH for under the $ 500.00 mark. I'd definitely go with the revalve and the clamps ! :thumbsup:

I hate to be the total newbie, but i'm going to have to do it...

What is the offset on the clamps? Are we just talking about moving the point where the bars clamp on forward 20mm? Or are we talking about actually changing the angle of the forks in relation to the frame? Seems that would take both the upper and lower triple clamp to acheive....

Clarity?

what year bike? what front tire are you running? more information please

I hate to be the total newbie, but i'm going to have to do it...

What is the offset on the clamps? Are we just talking about moving the point where the bars clamp on forward 20mm? Or are we talking about actually changing the angle of the forks in relation to the frame? Seems that would take both the upper and lower triple clamp to acheive....

Clarity?

Offset clamp move the location of the forks. Yes you need top & bottom clamps. It does not change the angle or rake it only changes trail. Less offset = more trail. The bars are still in the same place. The 20mm clamps will pull the wheel 4mm back.

Offset clamp move the location of the forks. Yes you need top & bottom clamps. It does not change the angle or rake it only changes trail. Less offset = more trail. The bars are still in the same place. The 20mm clamps will pull the wheel 4mm back.

awesome...i understand now...

semi-related: i don't notice any steering problems with my '05...maybe i'm not going fast enough... :thumbsup:

awesome...i understand now...

semi-related: i don't notice any steering problems with my '05...maybe i'm not going fast enough... :ride:

they turn better in 04,but the 05's are on rails :thumbsup:

Here try this.....It will improve your handling and suspension feel on the CRF. Run a 14/52 or 14/51 gearing. It shortens the wheel base and the rear shock will work better. My other question also is what ability are you. I had a buddy that was complaining about the same thing....he was not that fast either...but anyway when I watched him he was not even getting up on the tank in the corners. Kept trying to enter the corners in the middle or back part of the seat. NO MX bike is going to handle riding this way. We worked on his cornering skills and he was like wow!

Thing is that these CRF loved to be pushed and the harder you push the better they handle.....

theDogger

I have both done to my bike and I would suggest the revalve first, and then get good triple clamps. Don't be cheap. I have heard RG3 is the best way to go and thats why I chose them.

Sorry, I'm riding an 06' 450R. I would say my skill level is Intermediate+ (this personal assessment is based on the people I ride with that are strong Vet B racers and I hang with them, no problem).

Like I said, I don't believe it's my riding ability -- I can ride the bike just fine and rail corners... it's just that sometimes I wish I didn't have to give so much effort for it to turn or stay in a rut. And yeah, when cornering, I shift my weight forward and slap the boys up near the tank.

The 06 has the front wheel 2mm further to the rear than where they were in 02-04. In 05 they moved the axle back on the fork lug. guys put 22mm clamps on and that nets them the 20m clamp location. Now there are some guys that put the 20mm clamp on the 05-06 bikes and say they love them. I notice a huge difference in the 'wieght of the bar" when I went to a 20 on my 03. The increase trail makes it feel a little like a Yamaha. More stable, but tougher to turn in, but, once turned it sticks.

Just my $.02

I think Dogger owe me a penny now...

The 06 has the front wheel 2mm further to the rear than where they were in 02-04. In 05 they moved the axle back on the fork lug. guys put 22mm clamps on and that nets them the 20m clamp location. Now there are some guys that put the 20mm clamp on the 05-06 bikes and say they love them. I notice a huge difference in the 'wieght of the bar" when I went to a 20 on my 03. The increase trail makes it feel a little like a Yamaha. More stable, but tougher to turn in, but, once turned it sticks.

Just my $.02

I think Dogger owe me a penny now...

he sould just wire you the money through PayPal...

im sorry i had too :thumbsup:

shazam

I would PayPal Shawn the .02 but damn PayPal just pulled my account in accordance to thier AUP(Acceptable Use Policy) I accepted money for a legit gun sale 6 months ago on www.gunbrokers.com and bamn without warning or fair trial they just pulled my account and are holding 1k+ for 180 days.

They will not answer emails if they do no matter what I write I get a auto response. I used there service for over 5 yrs and never had an issue.

Damn California Liberals :cry::ride::ride::crazy:.....would like to take the muzzle of the gun and stick up their.......well you get the point.

Anyway found out after much research that Paypal since in acting this AUP 2.5 yrs ago has lost over 650,000 customers this way.

So Goggle Pay hear I come!!!!!! :thumbsup::ride:

FYI people lets take back OUR GOV'T and start using our constitution again! It is our Country...not the damn politician that are not even AMERICAN! Lets start policing out our county and start kicking these damn leeches out and back to their countries if they are so wonderful!!!!!

Sorry had to vent!!!!!!!:ride::busted::busted:

Thats my .02 cents!!!!!!!!!

theDogger

i got a set of tristar 20s complete w/ stem and bearing already pressed on. just swap out your stock 1s and your done. real easy 2 go back and forth if necessary. used only for a couple rides.