Sign in to follow this  

The “I’m farkin tired” ride report!

FRIDAY

I met Fred (rrwantr) at 0700 at a local gas station Friday morning and we headed up to the high country of Kennedy Meadows for some mountain riding and cooler temperatures. I knew that Fred was not an experienced dirt rider so the plan was to try and take it easy on him as to not scare him away from riding especially since I like the hard stuff. Fred also road races so he can ride a bike, no doubt.

We got to Troy Meadows Overflow campground and went looking for Steve, a guy I met while on The Diesel Place web site who I planned on riding with on Saturday since Fred could only ride on Friday. We found him right away and we went back and got my truck and parked my rig one spot away from Steve. After getting my trailer setup and everything unloaded we got suited up and were ready to roll by 1030. :busted:

I picked what I thought would not be too hard a route for the two of us and we headed out on the Mahogany Creek Trail and worked our way over to the Rattlesnake Creek Trail. I had not been to KM for over a year and man what changes have taken place since I was last there. The trails were rougher in some places and better in others and this was to be a sign of things to come. We then took the Beach Trail up to the Albanita Trail and I can tell you that Fred HAD to be thinking, “What the hell did Jeff get me into?” :crazy: But Fred hung in there and with only a couple of stops on the switchbacks he made it all the way to the top, way to go Fred! :thumbsup:

After taking a much-needed break we followed the Albanita Trail over to the Beach Ridge Trail and took it down towards Troy Meadows. We made a stop at the Black rock Ranger Station on the way and picked up a couple of the free maps. I was very disappointed to find that the really cool color maps they had the last time are gone and won’t be printed again. If you have them don’t lose them like I did or you won’t see them again. :eek:

We got back on the Beach Ridge Trail and worked our way back to the campground, man what a blast! We had several small creek crossings and one good sized one and I have to tell you what I told Fred at one point. After about the fourth or fifth creek crossing I said to Fred, “Sorry man!” Well, Fred goes “What for?” And I say, “For getting your bike all wet!!” I guess you had to be there, Fred came up there with one of the cleanest bikes I’ve ever seen. :ride:

This loop was 27 miles of fun, rocks, and water; did I mention rocks? Did I also mention that I spooked up a momma bear and two cubs? :busted: I came around a corner and all I saw was three bear butts running away and all of a sudden momma turns around and rears up and decides, “That looks good!” YIKES! I start revving the motor and honking the horn and she decided that I just didn’t look so good after all. WHEW!

Well that was the first of two rides we took Friday and while we were getting something to eat and more water to drink Steve and his guys came by and said they were heading out for a little spin to Monache Meadows, LITTLE SPIN, is he nuts??

After lunch we then took off for Monache Meadows ourselves in another direction from Steve and crew. We took the Fish and Troy connector trail over to the Fish Creek Campground and picked up the Jackass Trail all the way up to the Granite-Broder Trail. We followed Granite-Broder over to the Monache Meadows 4x4 road and took this to Monache Meadows. Now it time to REALLY play in the water!

The recent rains and runoff have really changed the river crossing there as a LOT of sand has been moved around and the banks are not sloped as usual, they were kind of steep especially on the west side of the Kern River. Well I decided that my XR could swim so I went for it and was surprised to find it was almost knee deep while sitting on my bike! WOW that water was cold! Next it was Fred’s turn and he chose a slightly shallower spot and went for it, SUCCESS!! :ride:

We followed the 4x4 road around the meadows and headed towards Bake Oven Meadow all the while crossing the river three of four more times. On the last crossing before getting to Bake Oven Fred hit it a little hard and water was flying everywhere and he came out looking like a drowned rat! It was hilarious with water dripping off of everything. We got to the last part of the meadow and ran into a herd of cows and two pissed off bulls that were NOT going to move so we flipped a u-turn and worked our way back towards the main road.

We took the Monache 4x4 road all the way to the pavement and took that towards Black rock and picked up the Albanita Trail again and headed for the Beach Ridge Trail. We followed the Beach Ridge Trail all the way back to camp this time without stopping at the ranger station. Man I love riding up here in all the trees and rocks and water and did I mention rocks?

The final loop was 44 miles for a total of 71 for the day and I have to tell you, I was one whopped doggy so I know Fred was again thinking, “What the hell did Jeff get me into?” :busted: I had a great time meeting Fred and riding with him and from what I read earlier he had a good time as well. See you on the trails!

SATURDAY

I hooked up with Steve, Craig, Taylor, Spencer, Casey, and Steve (yes, two Steve’s) for our Saturday adventure to the Rattlesnake trail with plans to take it all the way to the dead-end. Well, I guess the guys partied a little hard Friday night and weren’t up until after 0900, and by the time everyone got fed and suited up it was noon! A late start for sure but a start none-the-less.

As on Friday we headed out on the Mahogany Creek Trail and worked our way over to the Rattlesnake Creek Trail. We followed the Rattlesnake Creek Trail and at one the larger creek crossings Steve B decided the line well used was just not for him and launched his CRF450 off two boulders and right into the weeds along side the trail, man I wish I had my camera ready! :crazy: Three of us muscle his bike back into the creek so he can follow the trail and we continue on and we all take a break at the next trail intersection.

After we rest up we continued down the Rattlesnake Trail. For those of you who love tough single-track this is the trail for you. It follows the Rattlesnake Creek down the valley and has switchbacks and more water crossings than I can count and dead-ends after 10 tough miles. Some of the crossings are deep and some are shallow but all had quite a bit of water flowing. On one crossing I hit an un-seen rock that stopped me cold and put me on a rock and into the water! :ride: Man that water was cold and all I could think of is if I don’t hang onto this little branch my heads gonna be under water! Steve came back and got my bike off of me so I could move and it took a little time to get my bike running as it was flooded, gas wise not water wise.

We went on and after 8 miles the guys wanted to stop and hike down to the creek and play in the water but since I was going home that night we rested a while and started back. We got to a rock climb that everyone was having trouble with and I was the last one to try it. After watching everyone struggle I started putting in some loose rocks in the hole that was at the bottom of the climb and motored up the rock face like it was nothing and they all said, “Why didn’t you do that before?” All I could say was “I’m the last guy not the one in front!” :cry:

We backtracked Rattlesnake, Rattlesnake Creek and Mahogany Creek and got back to camp exhausted and dripping with water and sweat but with a smile on our faces for making the trip without any problems to speak of. We all had a great time and this loop, if you can call it that, was 30 miles and it took us about 6 hours to complete! Can you say slow going?

Now who’s up for a trip to Kennedy Meadows?? :crazy::ride:

You can view my pictures at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeff_in_rc/my_photos under the Kennedy Meadows 7/28/06 album. While there you can look at some of my other adventures, enjoy! :ride::eek:

Great report! Thanks for showing me around and putting up with my slow a$$ :cry: . I had a great time! It's a bit different riding then the desert and the roadrace circuits I'm used to riding like this..Good thing I had street/track riding experience even though I have limited (10 rides or so) dirt experience. lol Very different riding techinques...but still it helps.

:ride:

64428629.jpg

I'll definitely be up there again! First time that bike's seen water...other than the faucet. LMAO Thanks for taking the time to show me around up there and waiting at each interesection to make sure I didn't go gee when I should have went haw.... So when's the next trip? :thumbsup:

You know something Fred, for a newbie you did great! :thumbsup: You are not as slow as you think my friend and your experience racing road bikes really did help.

I enjoyed meeting and riding with you and I would love to go back, now when is the next flex Friday that I'm NOT on call?? :ride: BTW, the only way I take people to places they don't know is to take care of them, no such thing as them getting lost cause I'm a dork and didn't look behind me! No one left behind. :ride:

See ya! :cry:

Hi Jeff

Nice ride report. We're going to go back to Kennedy Meadows for the weekend of 8/19,20 can you get away and join us? Rrwantr what road race clubs are you riding with? AFM in northern Ca or WSMA is southern Ca? I used to play that game along time ago back in the 80's.

Walt

Hi Jeff

Nice ride report. We're going to go back to Kennedy Meadows for the weekend of 8/19,20 can you get away and join us? Rrwantr what road race clubs are you riding with? AFM in northern Ca or WSMA is southern Ca? I used to play that game along time ago back in the 80's.

Walt

I did a little bit with WSMC. Currently I work for a socal trackday company as a control rider etc.

Hi Jeff

Nice ride report. We're going to go back to Kennedy Meadows for the weekend of 8/19,20 can you get away and join us?

Walt

I wish I could Walt but I'm on-call that weekend! :ride::ride::crazy::ride: You go and have fun without me. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

Jeff