Sign in to follow this  

Portland, OR riders/racers!!!

I lived in Portland last summer and enjoyed my time with the Thursday night MX races and close to other great spots. How would you rank the city/area to live in for overall riding and racing???

I would have to say it is great! There are so many places to ride all around from desert, woods, & sand. PIR is where I think you were talking about, they have MX races every Thursday. You have Washougal, Hindsight, and Longview MX all close by. Housing costs have went nuts in the past 5 years, I bought my house for $170K in 2000 and houses next to me are going for $300K and up now,,, crazy.

Joe..........

It is better than alot of areas for sure. But Longview sucks, it is better than no place, but that is it. PIR only runs on Thursday, and has no open practice days. Washougal has a few races per year, but again almost no available practice time. Which is a real shame to have a national track in our back yard, but promoters who really do very little with it in regards to amateurs. Mt. View is great and is run by good people. Hindsight is a good effort for a small indoor track, but is very small.

I must agree, Longview sucks. I grew up there and would not go back. I currently live in Newberg. We just started to see housing prices go up in the last year or two. Newberg isn't that far from Portland. If you like trail riding at all, it puts you closer to Upper Nestucca/Trask area.

Washougal has a few races per year, but again almost no available practice time. Which is a real shame to have a national track in our back yard, but promoters who really do very little with it in regards to amateurs.

I believe Washougal had to make some adjustments to their schedule to appease the neighbors but I still see about 40 days of riding opportunities there between their normal races and practices, the Oregon Oldtimer event, the amateur days at the National, the WORCS race.... Seems like it would be hard to be much better unless you expect them to simply be open every day. Mt View is usually very fun and Riverdale was good a couple weeks ago. There is also Albany MX and Salem AX (winter).

Yea, I have to agree with TJ. Washougal for the most part DOES cater to the amatuers. They have at least a race a month, with a Wed. practice also once a month. Plus they have a practice now almost every day before a race.

Yea it would be nice if they were open more, but with a track that size, it would be cost prohibitive to run more practices. Plus its very difficult to round up enough flaggers to cover that size of a track on a consistent basis. Look at Albany. Ever since they started having flaggers on their Wed. practices, they have shortened the course.

As for Longview MX, what a shame. That place could make a TON of money if they just put in some effort.

I must agree, Longview sucks. I grew up there and would not go back. I currently live in Newberg. We just started to see housing prices go up in the last year or two. Newberg isn't that far from Portland. If you like trail riding at all, it puts you closer to Upper Nestucca/Trask area.

You must not know where to ride then. Longview MX is ok, but the trail systems around this area are awesome.

You must not know where to ride then. Longview MX is ok, but the trail systems around this area are awesome.

Do you mean trails within Longview MX, or just the Longview area?