Sign in to follow this  

Looking for place to ride Paso Robles ca

If any one knows of an area to ride near Paso Robles or Lake San Antonio please share :thumbsup:

Pozo is the closest riding area to Paso Robles. Pozo is southeast of Santa Margarita, the next closest riding area is Ballinger near HWY 166 and Hwy 33.

There are no riding areas in Paso unless you know someone with private land. There are a few private ranches I have heard, but I have never been on one except the one in Creston which hosts the Penguins Dual Sport ride every year.

Pozo/LaPanza is closest, and is not bad although somewhat limited. Still, that place can give you quite a workout! My kids and I learned to trail ride there, and we claim that if you can do all of Pozo you are qualified to ride nearly anywhere.

Pozo will give you good practice for Summer riding in heat and mud riding in the Winter too. There is a club that helps with trail maintenance and politics, the CCMA.

we claim that if you can do all of Pozo you are qualified to ride nearly anywhere.

You got that right!! I learned how to ride there too!

From Paso, depending on what type of riding you like...

Trails: Pozo

Sand: Pismo (about 30 or 40 min south)

There are a lot of motocross tracks if you go east about an hour and a half to, two hours.

I have also parked off the side of 101... (sorta by the firestone (is it firestone?) brewery) and crossed the railroad tracks and rode some trails in what i think is the riverbed. Not positive if you're really allowed to ride there or not, but i always see people there... but it can get quite boring after a while. There are a few private tracks in the area, but you just need to know the right people in order to ride them.

Im my case, i ride track so we are always driving at least an hour and a half to go riding which doesn't bother me because i really enjoy the tracks they have.

Pismo Beach (Oceano Dunes). No dust. Cool sunsets. Plenty of folks to watch when taking breaks.

I have a lot of family that live in Paso. I rode my 125 in the riverbed in high school when I had it, but I believe it was even illegal then ~10 years ago. Went to a bachelor party in Pozo/Santa Margarita area several months ago, and saw a ton of guys trailering their bikes there. Cousin's brother-in-law who lives in the area told me it was the only place around.

I rode my 125 in the riverbed in high school when I had it, but I believe it was even illegal then ~10 years ago.

I grew up in Atascadero riding the river and Kaiser's. Lot's of memories and even some of out-running the cops. That was over twenty years ago, so yeah, it's illeagal, ....but only if you get caught.

About Pozo, it is a pretty good standard that if you can ride that place fast you can ride just about anything. That place is so beat-up it's silly. I used to love that place until I moved to NorCal. Now I can't stand Pozo. I do miss stopping at the saloon and endulging in Pozo Martinis and Ortega Burgers though.

About looking for a place to ride; good luck. Everything is private now. I suggest joining the CCMA. You can find out more about the club by visiting Powerhouse in Paso Robles.

Sorry,

I forgot about the riverbed in my earlier post. This is a well known quasi-legal spot just South of Paso. It is also called the "pipeline" by the locals. Used to be you could stage on the weekend in the industrial park near Firestone but I heard the owners of the gravel pit complained and now they wait for you to come back to your truck and ticket you sometimes.

I nearly got heat stroke riding there one Summer day. It is mostly sand riding in the riverbed, you can ride all the way down to Atascadero if you can take the heat.

The alternative is to stage just South of Templeton along the railroad tracks and ride up the railroad right of way and into the riverbed. I always see guys parked there from the 101 and never see the law out there. Not great riding but it is something to do, better than a dirt road but considerably more work!

I keep hearing about how great NorCal riding is, too bad it is 7 hours away! Hard to do such a trip in much in less than a 4 day weekend and how many of those do you ever get!

FYI..

There is a track in Santa Maria called MotoClub, it is a membership only track. It would take about an hour, or maybe a little less to get there from Paso. I checked it out last weekend and it looks REALLY fun.

If you want info about it, the website is www.ccmotoclub.com.

They do have guest riding days so you can check out the track first before you buy your membership. I heard they are having one this sunday.... I'll either be there, or at I-5 this weekend =).

I checked the site and the club is full, so you have to go on a waiting list. Also it is $300 per year or $30 per month. They want to keep the membership from getting too big for their charter and the available space which is understandable. I think we can expect more of this kind of thing with limited riding areas, lack of $ for maintenance, and increased numbers of riders.

Someday we'll probably have to pay $50-100 just to do some trails for a day, but I doubt I'll still be riding by then. Too bad for the future generations though, but of course the regulators will make sure they live in a bubble anyway.

I checked the site and the club is full, so you have to go on a waiting list.

Yah...I went to the website and read that right after i posted my comment and was going to mention it, but i guess you already have!

Thanks..

Not Much near Paso. I live here too and go out to pozo alot. Best bet is waiting for a long weekend and driving up to hollister, but it can get crowded in the summer and over labor day weekend. Pipeline is good for little kids and beginners who dont want to drive far away to find out how bad or good they are. Go to powerhouse, they got some maps and some of the guys can give you some tips on places to ride.

Pozo is a great place to ride and a great place to train for racing.The place is choppy and rough.Nathen Woods would agree,I've talked to him several times...nice guy.There is also a place that just opened a several months ago.Here's the web site http://www.zacastationmx.com/ .Ask for PJ...This is a nice real motocross track 2miles long.I hear they are going to open the track to public in march next year and charge $20 a visit.Hope this helps

Pozo is a great place to ride and a great place to train for racing.The place is choppy and rough.Nathen Woods would agree,I've talked to him several times...nice guy.There is also a place that just opened a several months ago.Here's the web site http://www.zacastationmx.com/ .Ask for PJ...This is a nice real motocross track 2miles long.I hear they are going to open the track to public in march next year and charge $20 a visit.Hope this helps

That would be awesome if they open Zaca to the public. I rode there once right when the first open. You had to call PJ and he would put your name on a list and you could ride either sat., or sun. for free to check it out. After that you were required to pay a BIG membership fee... plus a fee on top of that when you get to the track to ride.

A friend of mine is having a benifit ride day at Zaca on the 17th of September for a fellow mx'er that just passed away. You can ride with no membership for $30.

You can PM me if you want any info.

clear creek is north of paso near king city. outstanding riding there.

Where is clear creek???? Myself and another rider are tired of freaking Pozo... We did Baja a month back and we are ready to try anything new... Anybody want to get a group together and meet at clear creek assuming someone will tell me where it is????

Many thanks,

the duck

05 KTM 450EXC - street titled and Baja prepped.

99 DR650 - dual sport monster and daily commuter

02 Trumph Sprint ST.. wife says it has to go...

clear creek is out side of coalinga, but it is closed right now and wont open until october I believe. The salinas ramblers have a great site with awesome information and a save cc fund as well.

Just be aware that Clear Creek is about 2+ hours away from Paso and closed for the Summer.

Have you been to a CCMA meeting? They meet in Atascadero 1st Thursday of this month at Players Pizza. Word has it they want to address the lack of riding space in SLO County.

With all the sprawl going on we need to be organized and have a club presence. One day we will be glad we have Pozo - at least we have it for now! Remember when you could free ride in Corbett Canyon? It's all McMansions now.

SLO county is nearly dead, and lack of riding is only one symptom of much greater problems. Solution: time to Move!

there is also a place called rockfront. it is pretty easy place to ride, and has alot of dirt roads. rockfornt is off highway 166. go east on 166 its about half an hour drive. the entrance has a small ranch. but just pll in and turn left towards the creek than keep pn driving there should be a staging area about 100yds after the creek.

Jump on 46 and go east for 100 miles then to 58 east for about 100 miles. Well worth the drive.