Sign in to follow this  

Barely running

OK, here is my problem. I bought a new 450X and have been riding it for a couple of months and it was running as good as can be expected for a stock bike with only the smog taken off and the insert taken out of the stock exhaust. Then one day it started running like shit and got worse as the day went on. It would only start with the choke on and run really ruff. I would push the choke off and it would die. So I bought the JD jetting kit and installed it, opened the air box, hoping that would be the cure all but no such luck. It still barely runs. What happened to my bike? Did my valves go way out? I have no clue. Could someone help shed some light on this problem of mine? I am use to 2strokes and this 4 stroke technology got me twisted.

Could be any number of things. Can you remember what happened just before is started running like 5H1T - eg: water crossing, perhaps she swallowed a mouthful??? Start with the basics. Have you been servicing the bike periodically per manual? Is the air cleaner filter clean? Are you running old (stale or crap) fuel? Check the spark plug (color / gap / evidence of fouling - do you have spark?). Check (drain) the carb bowl for evidence of water or contamination. etc. etc. etc. Then when you have eliminated (or corrected) the basics you might want to start checking valve clearances and the like.

It was strange because I didnt do anything out of the ordinary. No water,didnt go down or anything. I was running good gas and running desert trails. My air filter is a twin air and it is clean. I just installed the JD kit and that involves a new main jet,needle and accelerator pump mod with the O-ring. It seems to run just the same as before, which is not good.Like I said before, it wont start without the choke even when it is already warmed up. I have no clue. Would the valves have that much effect if they are out?

.....Would the valves have that much effect if they are out?

Yep - they could. Have you checked the valve clearances on it since new?

I seriously doubt your valves are out of whack.

Do you still have the smog stuf still on it, because that'll sure do it, especuialy since the weather is hotter now. Doug

I have not checked the valves on it since it was new and I have ridden it 6 or 7 times for a day at a time. Those are long hard riding days. The way it started running like crap all of of sudden makes me think that something went out of whack like the valves. I just checked the carb and put in the JD kit so I doubt its the carb, but who knows. Maybe I will have to take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

hot start cable too tight, maybe? should have a little play. hot start plunger allows cold air in through an orrifice to help reduce flood condition.

paul

It was strange because I didnt do anything out of the ordinary. No water,didnt go down or anything. I was running good gas and running desert trails. My air filter is a twin air and it is clean. I just installed the JD kit and that involves a new main jet,needle and accelerator pump mod with the O-ring. It seems to run just the same as before, which is not good.Like I said before, it wont start without the choke even when it is already warmed up. I have no clue. Would the valves have that much effect if they are out?

You've got a nice big fat piece of sand square in your pilot jet. Pull that carb back apart, pull the pilot, and make sure you light through it end to end, and all of the holes in the side are open. Check the pilot jet seat make sure there's no dirt in there.

Also, pull the low speed mixture screw out and make sure it's clean, and inspect the seat to make sure there is no dirt in there.

The running difference between choke on/off is the key-you've got a carb problem or possibly a big ol' intake manifold air leak. I'd check the torque on the intake manifold bolts, and make sure the carb boot is tight, but my money is on the pilot jet.

I have not checked the valves on it since it was new and I have ridden it 6 or 7 times for a day at a time. Those are long hard riding days. The way it started running like crap all of of sudden makes me think that something went out of whack like the valves. I just checked the carb and put in the JD kit so I doubt its the carb, but who knows. Maybe I will have to take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

If you have checked everything with the air / fuel side like you say you have, after what sounds like about 30+ hours in the saddle (perhaps over 600 miles ???) I'd definitely be checking the valve / decomp. clearances then. You may have got a "Friday" or "Monday" production bike with poor valve / seat machining that have now bedded in and need adjusting.

OK, here is my problem. I bought a new 450X and have been riding it for a couple of months and it was running as good as can be expected for a stock bike with only the smog taken off and the insert taken out of the stock exhaust. Then one day it started running like shit and got worse as the day went on. It would only start with the choke on and run really ruff. I would push the choke off and it would die. So I bought the JD jetting kit and installed it, opened the air box, hoping that would be the cure all but no such luck. It still barely runs. What happened to my bike? Did my valves go way out? I have no clue. Could someone help shed some light on this problem of mine? I am use to 2strokes and this 4 stroke technology got me twisted.

I think Ewbish is on the right track. It sounds like a possible lean condition due to contamination. The question I would ask is: Does it run like crap at idle and low throttle settings and then run ok at middle and wide open positions? If so then it probably is the low speed circuit (pilot jet). However if it runs bad at all throttle settings then check all your jets for foreign objects. Paint chips, sand, gasket sealer, etc. If you find something in the bowl or jets, then make sure you remove your gas tank and check it out for contamination and throughly clean it or else the problem will reoccur.

You've got a nice big fat piece of sand square in your pilot jet. Pull that carb back apart, pull the pilot, and make sure you light through it end to end, and all of the holes in the side are open. Check the pilot jet seat make sure there's no dirt in there......

If the JD kit does not come with the pilot jet (and I don't think it does), you would definately want to check that as ewbish rightly recommends.

Well here it is. Ewbish hit the nail on the head. I took the carb apart again and cleaned the pilot jet out and gave the fuel air screw and adjustment. It runs like a champ again.The pilot jet had a small piece of sand or something in it. All I can say is that a piece of sand can take your bike right out of its game. Thanks for all your input in this thread. It definitely helped solve my problem. :ride::thumbsup:

Well here it is. Ewbish hit the nail on the head. I took the carb apart again and cleaned the pilot jet out and gave the fuel air screw and adjustment. It runs like a champ again.The pilot jet had a small piece of sand or something in it. All I can say is that a piece of sand can take your bike right out of its game. Thanks for all your input in this thread. It definitely helped solve my problem. :ride::thumbsup:

The question is, where did the sand come from? If sand is getting in past the filter, it is not seated on the ring (lots of seal grease needed here), or in the gas, try putting on an inline fuel filter.

Right on, glad you got it going. If you get a grain of sand big enough to block the pilot completely, it will definitely wreak havoc, and through the low speed, mid, and high speed fuel circuits. Odds are it came off the lip of your gas can, or it was something in the can itself. A cheap inline filter is good insurance.

i thought the honda has an inline filter under the gas tank?

They do in Oz. Mind you we need it with the standard of fuel they sell here.