Sign in to follow this  

Cams? for an 06SM?

Alright.. I got a little extra cash.. And was reading about the E-base gasket and cams..What am I getting my self into?

Where can i buy this stuff.. And what cams do i want, What is the diffrence in them all??

And can i install them myself ??

Thanks Sorry for being a newbie :\

-patch

Cams - DRZ400"E" cams or Hot Cams stage 2. Gaskets and cams can be purchased from TT. Cams have more lift and allow the engine to continue to make power at higher revs. But the CDI will not allow more revs then you now have. So benefit is somewhat limited. Yes you can install cams and gaskets yourself if you have some mechanical ability. Cam install is same as changing shims with stock cams.

However to put mods in order. FCR carb first. Exhaust system 2nd. Cams and gasket 3rd.

alright, I got the exhuast and FCR is still on the way..

So to make max power, I'd also need to get a new CDI?

And whats the gasket do exactly,

Thanks

-patch

And whats the gasket do exactly

I think he means the E base gasket. It will raise your compression. Its more work than cams and a lot of guys have said its not worth it unless your tearing down your motor.

alright, I got the exhuast and FCR is still on the way..

So to make max power, I'd also need to get a new CDI?

And whats the gasket do exactly,

Thanks

-patch

The e cdi has a redline of 10,500 rpm whereas the s/sm is only 10,000. I have used both e and the original hot cams in mine and most of the extra 500 rpms is in overrev. It allows you to maintain a gear just a bit longer. You really aren't making that much power up there, it tapers off. Go look at some dyno charts eddie's posted and see the difference cams can make.

I don't know if there is any different in the programming beyond the redline though.

I have only used the E and S cams with an E CDI so here is my seat of the pants.

E bike - S cams you run out of power before the rev limiter. No point hitting the limiter. E cams you hit the limiter before you feel the power taper off. When it happens my feeling is "what the heck is that - oh yea, that's the limiter kicking in".

I see.. So for the money, Cams/E-cdi/E-base gasket

Is it worth the dough?

-patch