Gas Mileage

Does anyone know what the gas mileage is on a 2006 CRF-450x? I need to buy a new gas tank that will get my bike 110 miles on one tank. I was looking at a 3.4Gal. but I am not sure if that is big enough.

Does anyone know what the gas mileage is on a 2006 CRF-450x? I need to buy a new gas tank that will get my bike 110 miles on one tank. I was looking at a 3.4Gal. but I am not sure if that is big enough.

Well.......it depends on your jetting, mods, altitude etc. I get about 60-80 out of the stock tank (2.7) depending on how I ride. The 3.4 should put you close depending on what the conditions/terrain are like and your bike setup. A 3.7 should be good with a bit of a margin.

I believe the stock tank is about 2.4 gallons. A friend of mine says he has gotten almost 100 miles on a tank but that was riding very conservatively. I would think an extra gallon should easily get you to 110, especially since your bike has the very lean stock jetting.

I have a stock 2006 450X. I took it up North (Northern Arizona - 7000+ ft) and rode fire roads and trails. I made it 75 miles and I had yet to go to Reserve.

Does anyone know how many miles Reserve will get you on this bike?

I had a couple of problems on my first ride and had to have the tank replace (stripped bolt) and the carb cleaned (Honda picked up the tab). Since then, the bike has run like a champ! ?

Dave

I have a stock 2006 450X. I took it up North (Northern Arizona - 7000+ ft) and rode fire roads and trails. I made it 75 miles and I had yet to go to Reserve.

Does anyone know how many miles Reserve will get you on this bike?

I had a couple of problems on my first ride and had to have the tank replace (stripped bolt) and the carb cleaned (Honda picked up the tab). Since then, the bike has run like a champ! ?

Dave

Well, seems that they are each a little different. When I hit reserve, I have just a hair under 1 gal left in the bike. Since the tank is supposed to be 2.7 gals, that would mean you went about 75 miles on 1.7 gals or about 44mpg. Theoretically, that would give you around 40 miles on reserve, except you can't actually use all the gas in the tank, so you figure about 30 or so, which gives you a range of around 105. You are right in line with mine, I get 60-80 depending on how I ride, plus the reserve (which I maybe should have pointed out earlier-I didn't include reserve as I like to plan my gas requirements without counting on reserve unless I absolutely have too).

Ewbish,

Yeah, the gas mileage varies greatly in these posts. By the way, when I got back to the gas station (the end of my 75 miles), I only had a little left in the tank so I must have been very close to needing to go to Reserve. I was way, way below one gallon at that time. I figured I'd get 10-15 miles out of reserve which would put me around 90 miles total. I agree, I don't like to use Reserve and I don't use it to calculate how far I can ride.

What's your favorite Arizona riding spot?

Thanks,

Dave

Ewbish,

Yeah, the gas mileage varies greatly in these posts. By the way, when I got back to the gas station (the end of my 75 miles), I only had a little left in the tank so I must have been very close to needing to go to Reserve. I was way, way below one gallon at that time. I figured I'd get 10-15 miles out of reserve which would put me around 90 miles total. I agree, I don't like to use Reserve and I don't use it to calculate how far I can ride.

What's your favorite Arizona riding spot?

Thanks,

Dave

Well, most of my riding is down South, around Sierra Vista. I did the Whetstone mountains, and the area around the San Pedro N. of 82. I like to go up N. around Flag in the summer when I can as well.

In Idaho riding between 2500 and 5000 with the stock pilot needdle at 2 clips from top I think and a 155 main and a FMF TiPowercor slip oni'm getting between 26 and 31 depending on how hard i'm on the throttle and the terrain i've got the 3.4 clark nut racker tank and i'm not real sure i'd want to push that tank past about 85 miles in the mountains mabye on flat ground easy throttle i'd shoot for 100. Also I get about the same mpg now as I did stock.

• 7 months later...

I have a 07 450 X, air box mods, Dr.D full exhaust, jd jetting, the gas tank holds 2.27 gallons, .07 gallons of reserve. I went 47 miles on the take before it shut down and had to switch to reserve. You guys are getting pretty good gas mileage.