Short Screen Plug Fix

Had the dreaded short screen plug jammed in my 04 525 EXC.

The plug started to round out.....

Thought I would post what finally worked to remove the :ride: plug !

1. Turn off fuel

2. Drain carby

3. Lay bike over with left hand side facing up

4. If plug has started to round use either a T50 Torx socket or custom fit a 9 or 10mm allen key (Note if use allen key, cut off bend so you can turn key with a socket.) Plug is soft so can tap in hex key/Torx socket with hammer, but not too hard!

5. Gently heat casing around plug with a propane/butane torch for 15-20 seconds, evenly distributing heat. Note (Do this with the engine cold. DO NOT heat plug).

6. Apply plently of inward pressure on socket handle to ensure Allen key/Torx socket remains tightly seated and does not try to round out again.

7. You will know when it lets go!

8. Get someone to pick up bike until oil comes out of the plug hole.

9. Check for any metal shavings that may come out.

10. If some metal shavings present, bolt everything up and go ride for 5 minutes

11. Check long and short screen and magnetic plug for any caught shavings.

12. Replace plug with one that has a hex head !

Hope this helps as I'm sure I am not the only one who has experienced this ? problem !

I was in the situation that this was a second hand bike and my first oil change! I have purchased a torque wrench. I am getting the local engineer to make a steel plug with a hex head. I'd rather spend $15-$20 on a hex plug than have to deal with tapping new threads in a crankcase !

Is anti-seize a safe alternative for any threads coming into contact with engine oil (contamination?). I thought engine oil would be a better alternative on threads. ?