Sign in to follow this  

more compression for s!

hey guys,does anyone of you know the oem parts that i must buy to change the compression of my dr-z s to the compression of the e???and will i see any big changes in power???

All it is is the stock E base gasket-the S runs two instead of one to lessen compression so that buyers can run 87 octane in the US.

would it be difficult if i asked for the part number??any difference in performance??

Though some have posted that it is not worth the tear down to do the gasket swap unless you are changing cams as well. my 2cents i guess

i think you are right.it's going to cost an amount of money(about 100 euros) to tear down and you will probably need the gasket for the cover of the cylinder head.maybe some other parts too...

If you want more power, it's better to go for a bore kit. Same labor, and then you have new piston / rings, and about 10-12 % more displacement, in addition to higher compression. These cost about $400. USD. It seems like this would be the first step to get more power across the whole range than similar money spent on anything else. I don't know what the service rate "book" says the time would be to install an E base gasket, but my guess is at least 4 hours. It would take me at least 6 start to finish. At 60-80./ hour rates, it's a lot of money if you are paying someone.

If you were bored and wanted to do this, Cometic has all the gaskets you need in one kit, I was thinking it was around 30 bucks or so. I have changed mine out, but I did it while I was doing other mods.

yep go cometic. Their top end kit includes both base (single ply) and the head gasket.

Three ply for the s base, single ply for the e. All head gaskets are three ply.

All it is is the stock E base gasket-the S runs two instead of one to lessen compression so that buyers can run 87 octane in the US.

I didn't know you couldn't run 87 octane. Never any issues here

The 3 ply base gasket was designed to lower compression of the S so that you could run 87 octane fuel.

I didn't know you couldn't run 87 octane. Never any issues here

E-models require at least 91 octane (thats what the owners manual and the little stickers that came on mine new said) due to higher compression, using lower octane fuel will cause predetonation and "pinging".