Sign in to follow this  

Shift lever tight fit (HELP).

Having a problem shifting with new riding boots. Toes don't fit well under short shifter. What to do? Will it get better as boots loosen up? Or should I get longer shift lever? Where?

Adjust the selecter up one spline.Will also get better with time as the boots ware in.I had the same problem couldnt ride my bike when i got my new boots,now i am uncomfortable riding with any other shoes besides my boots.

I ran into this exact problem on my bike. First I adjusted the shifter upward far enough that I could get my boot under it, only to find that it now hit the counter shaft sprocket guard, which wouldn't let me shift into second gear. Then I moved the shifter down a spline and removed the stock rubber grip and filled in the space on the shaft that this created with some cloth electrical tape. I just wound the tape around the shaft until the diameter was equal to the little cast in end piece on the shifter. This worked pretty well, but still not great.

Next was to either alter the counter shaft cover, allowing a higher mounting position of the shifter or going to a longer shifter. I went ahead and ordered the MSR 1" longer shifter and the problem is completely solved. It works great with no compromise on the shifter placement. One note on the MSR piece though... it took a bunch of tweaking (bending) in order to make it fit on the bike properly. They obviously don't have high levels of QC on these parts.

I moved mine up about 2 splines.

Had to remove the CS cover, remove the shifter and reinstall. Now it's an OK compromise. A little high for street shoes (Ride to work) just barely emnough for boot to fit.

Sometimes I don't hit 5th hard enough in street shoes and it pops back into 4th.

Very annoying.

I'm thinking about the extended shifter too.